A 16-year-old girl died from “Rapunzel Syndrome,” and here’s what that means

In an utter tragedy, a British teen has died from “Rapunzel Syndrome” after eating her own hair, and our thoughts are with her family and friends in the wake of their heartbreaking loss.

The loved ones of 16-year-old Jasmine Beever are speaking out about the “bubbly” teen, with a family friend revealing that she suffered from “Rapunzel Syndrome” — which is another name for trichophagia, a stress-related compulsion in which a person consumes their own hair.

According to TechTimes.com, Jasmine fell ill earlier this month while at school and went home to rest. Things took a turn for the worse, and she was taken to the hospital — where doctors were unable to revive her.

The report says that Jasmine died from peritonitis, described as “an inflammation of the tissue lining in the inner abdominal wall and covers the organs inside the abdomen.” It seems a hairball in Jasmine’s stomach became infected, causing an ulcer to burst and impacting her vital organs.


Now, her family and friends are hoping to honor Jasmine’s memory by discussing “Rapunzel Syndrome”: both to let other sufferers know they’re not alone and to raise awareness for the illness.

Family friend Donna Marshall told TechTimes.com that, “Jasmine was amazing. She was one of those kids where she would make a sad face in the room smile. She was so bubbly…She was such a darling. I am going to miss her terribly. We are all in shock.”

Marshall’s daughter, Billie-Jo Ashwell, is raising money for her family on Just Giving, a truly special act in the aftermath of this tragedy.

Our thoughts are with Jasmine’s loved ones at this time.