5 reasons why you need to be careful staying hydrated this summer
Let’s just all agree that this summer has been particularly painful. Even armed with these pampering and cool-down tips to keep it enjoyable, the blistering heat can be a tricky obstacle to overcome.
It’s hugely important to stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water, but there’s also such thing as drinking too much water and becoming overhydrated. But what does that mean, exactly?
So, what happens when we get overhydrated?
According to SELF magazine, overhydration basically makes you feel terrible. You might experience nausea or confusion, and if it gets really serious then you could have a seizure and even go into a coma.
So, what do we need to remember for healthy and safe hydration?
1. Listen to your body’s thirst signals.That’s actually as simple as it sounds; if you’re thirsty, go right ahead and drink some water. But if you’re not, then you don’t need to obsess about slamming a bottle of water just for the sake of it.
2. Take your time when you drink. Enjoy your water!
3. When you go to work out, bring a sports drink like Gatorade with you. The electrolytes will keep your sodium levels in check.
4. If you do suspect you’re a little over-hydrated, limit your fluid intake and then eat something salty.
5. When all else fails and you’re not feeling well, seek medical attention.
So remember to stay healthy, enjoy your summer, and listen to what your body’s trying to tell you. Happy summering!