A serial killer escaped a state psychiatric hospital in Hawaii and boarded a flight to the Bay Area

Uh, Houston? We have a major problem. As of yesterday, November 14th, police are on the lookout for a serial killer who escaped a Hawaiian state psychiatric hospital near Honolulu. According to NBC Bay Area News, the patient fled to Maui, then boarded a flight to San Jose, California.

The patient, Randall Saito, was acquitted in a 1979 murder case after entering a plea by reason of insanity and has been described as a “violent psychopath” to Hawaii News Now. Honolulu prosecutor Wayne Tashima warned the public that Saito is a “very dangerous individual” and advised those who see him to not approach. Tashima is concerned that Saito could commit the same “very heinous and violent offense” again.

Saito was committed to Hawaii State Hospital in 1981 after being found not guilty by reason of insanity for the murder of 29-year-old Sandra Yamashiro. Saito randomly killed Yamashiro by shooting her in the face with a pellet gun and then repeatedly stabbing her.

In 2000, Saito’s defense attorney argued for his release, but deputy city prosecutor Jeff Albert argued against it, stating that Saito “fills all the criteria of a classic serial killer.” A 1993 court also denied Saito conditional release after finding he still suffered from sexual sadism and necrophilia.

According to NBC Bay Area News, Saito escaped Hawaii State Hospital on Sunday, November 12th. He simply walked out of the hospital, jumped into a waiting taxi, and boarded a charter flight. It took the hospital eight hours to alert authorities after they realized Saito was missing.

One hospital staffer told Hawaii News Now he believes Saito must have gotten outside help to coordinate his escape. The staffer informed the station that Saito is a master manipulator and warns the police might “never find him” due to Saito’s intelligence and manipulative ways.

Officials believe Saito arrived at Mineta San Jose International Airport around 7:30 p.m. local time on Sunday, November 12th.


The United States Marshals Service and FBI agents are currently on the hunt for the 59-year-old escapee. Whether or not Saito remained in the Bay Area, where he allegedly has family members, is still unclear.

Late Tuesday night, November 14th, the Hawaii Attorney General’s office charged Saito with felony escape and issued a $500,000 bench warrant for his arrest. Officers in all 50 states are allowed to enforce this arrest warrant.

Saito is believed to be wearing a red jacket, bucket hat, and button-down Hawaiian shirt, as seen here in the footage from the cab he took upon leaving the hospital.

If you see Saito, please do not approach him. Instead call the Honolulu Police Department’s Criminal Investigation Division at 808-723-3609, Honolulu Crime Stoppers at 808-955-8300, or contact your local police department.

Filed Under