It’s officially safe to eat Chipotle again, according to the government
On Monday, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced that its investigation into the Chipotle E. coli outbreak was over. After a months-long investigation, the CDC reported that Chipotle’s food is officially safe to eat — and that we are all now free to indulge in delicious burritos and bowls once more.
“We are pleased that the CDC has concluded its investigation, and we have offered our full cooperation throughout,” a spokesperson for Chipotle said in a statement to HelloGiggles. “Over the past few months we have taken significant steps to improve the safety of all of the food we serve, and we are confident that the changes we have made mean that every item on our menu is delicious and safe.”
For those unfamiliar, since last August, Chipotle has been responsible for three massive food borne illness outbreaks, including cases of salmonella and E. coli across multiple states with over 50 individuals affected. Since then, the chain has taken multiple measures to ensure the safety of its food — and even announced it would shutter all of its stores on February 8 in order to hold a nationwide, all-employee meeting about a new health policy.
Nonetheless, it’ll take a while before Chipotle recovers from the major hit the E. coli and salmonella outbreaks caused. Even diehard Chipotle fans are still a little weary of returning to their favorite fast food chain — no matter how delicious that secret menu may be. That being said, we’re happy to hear that all is well again. While the CDC was unable to identify what caused the outbreaks in the first place, they went on to confirm that there are currently no traces of E. coli in any of the restaurant chain’s recently tested food.
Now, if only guacamole weren’t extra — all of our Chipotle dreams would finally come true.
(Image via Saul Loeb/Getty.)