June 29th is National Hug Holiday! Hugs are awesome, and today we get to celebrate this wonderful way to connect with those around us. But are all hugs the same? Hardly. Hugging is a form of communication, not unlike waving, high-fiving, or handshaking. It’s important to know the different kinds of hugs in order to avoid awkward situations or misconstrued intentions, so here are 9 basic types of hugs, for your future reference:
- The Bear Hug – An embrace of this stature is not for the faint of heart, and is usually an indication of a deeper emotional connection. This hug is a commitment, because both parties need to be all in. You’ll know it when it’s done right.
- The Stiff Hug – This could indicate that the hug recipient wasn’t too pleased to be hugging you. Or they might just be a really awkward person. Instead of two bodies conforming to a hugging shape, one stays stiff. Maybe make a mental note not to hug this person next time?
- The Air Hug – Well, that was awkward. This situation happens when two parties feel that it is appropriate to hug, and yet neither of them wants said hug. Get it over with as quickly as possible.
- The Group Hug – Pretty self explanatory, and pretty awesome.
- The Snuggle Hug – This is almost more of a cuddle, and usually happens while each hug partner are sitting next to each other on a couch or other comfy spot. May lead to dozing and often includes one person leaning their head on the other’s shoulder while embracing.
- The Side Hug – This could be an awkward encounter, where one person reaches in for a hug and the other moves in sideways. It can cause some pretty weird face against face action. It can work as a transition into a romantic walking embrace, however.
- The Back Pat Hug – This is a good hug for friends who aren’t necessarily super close, or for dudes who don’t want to embrace their bro for too long. Gotta keep up appearances. Don’t wanna appear soft or sensitive, right?
- The Attack Hug – Overly aggressive hugger meets someone who does not want a hug. Unstoppable, unavoidable, and uncomfortable.
- The Run-and-Jump Hug – Usually only happens in really cheesy rom-coms, but every once in a blue moon there is a real life run-and-jump hug. And those are pure magic.