Throwing A Party For Your Favorite TV Shows
Am I the only one that thinks it’s an awesome idea to throw a party in celebration of your favorite TV shows? I know people have TV viewing parties, but I’m talking about doing it on a bigger scale. A party with the show’s music, the show playing in background, a homemade photo booth with props related to the show, drinks and more.
Recently, I threw a party to celebrate the 10 year anniversary of The O.C. and it made me think, “Why haven’t I done this before?”
It took me about a month to plan the party. I needed to re-watch the show to get ideas. I set up my own photo booth using an orange tablecloth for the backdrop and a shelf as the tripod. The props included a mini Capt. Oats and Princess Sparkle, Lips balloons (like the ones in the kissing booth episode!), a print out of the Atomic County cover, fake cigarettes (no one I know smokes), two homemade yamaclaus’, a Coop polo, an Atwood tank and gray sweatshirt, Sandy Cohen eyebrows and other random props.
We ate “Bait Shop” taco chips and “Crab Shack” buffalo shrimp and drank mojitos and Summer Breeze cocktails. We reenacted different scenes and took family photos. Half of my friends didn’t even watch the show, but they got into character and had fun with it.
So I wanted to give you all some ideas for other parties you can have to celebrate a TV show’s beginning or ending.
How I Met Your Mother
HIMYM is ending this season. We finally met the mother, who looks like a mix of Lily and Robin. Props to casting because obviously he’d fall for someone that reminds him of them. The show has been on for years and its awesomeness should be celebrated!
The party could be named, “The Legen… wait-for-it…Dary Party”. You could definitely include some of the following:
- Food & Drinks: Sandwiches (duh), Ted’s Super Bowl wings, Mrs. Eriksen’s 7 layer salad, scotch and beer
- Decorations: an Intervention banner, MacLaren’s Pub sign, bar graph of your favorite pies and pie chart of your favorite bars
- Photo Booth: a yellow umbrella, laser tag gear, a suit, a beaver stuffed animal, a blue French horn, a ducky tie, a stripper pole, red cowboy boots, a hockey jersey, Robin Sparkles outfit, Robin Daggers flannel, art supplies, bro bibs, The Playbook cover printed out, Canadian flag, slutty pumpkin costume, a hanging chad costume, Ted’s magazine cover printed out, the exact oufits that Ted’s kids are wearing, a captain hat..I feel like this list could go on forever.
- Music: The 88, the theme song, and Robin Sparkles/Robin Daggers. Some more HIMYM music here!
Hope you all salute every time someone says a military rank. Give your guests high fives throughout the night. Have some “woo girl” moments and hopefully no slaps. And tell your guests if they leave your party early, they could become the “Blitz” and miss something amazing.
So I don’t watch this show yet. (I know. I know. Don’t hit me!) I just watched like five episodes of Season 3 at my friend’s house. (I know. Season 3! What’s wrong with me?!) Well, now I’m into it and will go back to the beginning to watch them all. Also, I finally see what you all are talking about when you say you love Aaron Paul.
The show is ending this season and if you’re a fan, then you should throw a party! You can call this one “Party With Me, Bitch!” From what I know about the show and by asking friends, here are a few things the party could include:
- Food & Drinks: blue colored rock candy or the blue donuts in the photo above, funyons, breakfast foods, chemical named cocktails and beer
- Decorations: periodic table of elements hanging up somewhere, desert-looking decorations
- Photo Booth: green background, blue ribbons, yellow jumpsuits, a fake beard, gas masks, lunch bag that says “Walt”, fake ax, Heisenberg hat and sunglasses, tighty whities, talk bubble that says “,Bitch”
- Music: AMC has a whole list of Breaking Bad music here.
Also, just found this sweet Breaking Bad party article on HelloGiggles. You can combine all the ideas to throw the ultimate party!
Friends premiered on September 22, 1994, which means it’s turning 20 years old next September. (Yes, we’re that old.) We have a whole year to prep for this one!
Friends is just one of those shows that everyone knows and loves. Actually, when I find out that someone doesn’t like the show, I like them just a little bit less. We can call this party, “Oh. My. Gawwwwd. It’s A Friends Party.”
- Food & Drinks: New York pizza, “You’re my Lobster” dip, an English trifle, drinks served in coffee mugs
- Decorations: a fancy gold colored frame for your door, Central Perk sign, NYC paraphernalia
- Photo Booth: a city background or one like the photo above! An acoustic guitar, a fake monkey, a fake duck and chick (or real if you own real animals!), dinosaur anything, jean vest and 90’s looking clothes, British flag top hat, a stuffed penguin, a manga doodle, blue lipstick, chef hat for Monica, a foosball table, a wedding dress, name tags (so you can write names like Princess Consuella BananaHammock, Regina Phalange and Crap Bag)
- Music: Sir Mix-A-Lot’s ‘I Like Big Butts’, The Rembrandts and of course all of Phoebe’s original songs
Pretty upset that I don’t know where my Friends milkshake poster is because that would be perfect for decorating! If you need more tips, I’d definitely tweet HelloGiggles’ Friends experts Erin and Jess. I love Friends, but I still could never be as good as them.
Whoa, ten years later, Lost premiered on the same date as Friends. I guess you’ll have to choose between Friends or Lost or you throw one party and your friend throws the other.
I think I was the weirdest Lost fan ever. I watched on and off then watched the entire last season then watched the entire series. This party could be called, “Let’s Get Lost tonight…” Here are some island essentials for your party:
- Food & Drinks: orange slices, fish tacos, fried chicken, peanut butter, piña coladas, beer and wine with Dharma Initiative labels, mini alcohol bottles
- Decorations: blow up palm trees and random tropical things from the party store
- Photo Booth: dirty torn up clothes, fake “we have to go back!” beard, acoustic guitar, lottery ticket with the numbers 4 8 15 16 23 42, white lab coat, blue scrubs, Dharma Initiative patch, black Charlie hoodie and white tape (sharpie marker to write on tape), Hawaiian leis, luggage, Oceanic 815 boarding pass, fish biscuit (could also be used in food category if you’re into baking), a black shirt and a white shirt, backgammon, ping pong rackets, new recruit Dharma photo, Desmond & Penny photo and Kate’s mugshot all printed, name tags to write all of Sawyer’s nicknames on (Dr. Giggles, Freckles, Mr. Clean, etc.)
- Music: Mostly oldies music. Here’s a list of music that was on the show.
While posing in the photo booth, I really hope someone writes “Not Penny’s Boat” on their hand and puts it right in front of the camera.
Those were just some of the ideas I had. Once the planning gets started, you’ll have even more ideas. I’m still thinking of things I could have done for my O.C. party. Have fun and tweet me if you decide to throw one of these parties!! 🙂