13 reasons why we're jazzed for Selena Gomez's new Netflix show '13 Reasons Why'
Here’s some amazing news for your Friday: Selena Gomez is going to be a part of a brand new Netflix Original series, and we just added it to our must binge list.
The series will be based off of the YA book, 13 Reasons Why, by Jay Asher. It tells the story of Hannah Baker, a young girl who recently committed suicide. Hannah leaves behind a set of cassette tapes, explaining the reasons for taking her own life to those who altered hers in some way. It was originally published back in 2007, made the New York Time’s bestsellers list, and won a slew of awards. It was only a matter of time before the story made its way to the small screen, and now it’s happening thanks to Gomez.
So fitting with the theme, here are 13 reasons why we can’t wait to check this out.
1. It’ll be Gomez’s first TV role since the end of Wizards of Waverly place. That was already three years ago. It’s about time.
2. Starring as Hannah will require Gomez to mostly do voice-over work, leaving her with plenty of time to continue her other acting gigs and her upcoming U.S. tour.
3. But she’s still going to be front and center of the series, since even though Hannah is narrating most of it, there are a ton of flashbacks.
4. She’s also not just acting in it, she’s also going to be an executive producer on the show, too.
5. Gomez’s mom is also going to be an executive producer. That’s excellent mother-daughter bonding.
6. The main topic of 13 Reasons Why might be tough to talk about, but it’s important to talk about.
7. 13 Reasons Why also dives into other issues, such as bullying, peer-pressure, and sexual-assault. Also important things to talk about.
8. If you’ve read the book, you know it can have quite an impact on you. Now imagine it as a show and how many lives it’ll touch.
9. Since in the end the story is shut and closed, 13 Reasons Why will technically be a mini-series. It’ll have 13 episodes.
10. It was originally supposed to be a movie. We’ll take 13 episodes on Netflix over one two-hour movie any day.
11. Brian Yorkey, who won a Pulitzer Prize for his play, Next to Normal, created the series, and is writing the pilot.
12. There are a ton of characters in the book, which means we’ll get so many amazing young actors filling out the cast.
13. Because we’ve always wanted to completely binge a Selena Gomez show.
(Image via YouTube)