30 thoughts I had while watching the new 'Star Wars' trailer 30 times
I woke up this morning not expecting to have my world totally rocked by an influx of Star Wars goodness. The Star Wars Celebration is happening in at the Anaheim Convention Center right now, and yes, it’s a huge Star Wars convention that celebrates everything about the galaxy far, far. A brand new Star Wars trailer was teased, but no one knew exactly when was going to happen, let alone if it was actually happening. Honestly I was just pretty stoked about the Star Wars emojis that took over Twitter earlier today.
And then the trailer happened.
To say that the 2-minute trailer had me running the gamut of emotions is an understatement. I laughed. I cried. I laugh-cried. I cried happy tears when it was over. I watched it far too many times for one sitting. Now I feel lots of ways about it. Let’s discuss.
1. The first thing that happens is the LucasFilm logo. I’ve already got chills. This logo is reserved for ONLY Star Wars movies, and Indiana Jones movies (OK, there are a few others, because The Land Before Time is a LucasFilm movie. No joke.) I also wish my life could be produced by LucasFilm.
2. The trailer opens on a desert planet. Probably Tatooine, right? Nope, it’s a brand new planet called Jakku.
3. Suddenly we realize there’s a downed Star Destroyer and smaller ship — X-Wing? TIE Fighter? Honestly, it’s damaged so bad it’s hard to tell — and then it’s like, omg. This is all that happens after the Emperor was defeated.
4. A few familiar lines are spoken. Raise your hand if you found yourself saying them aloud along with the trailer!
5. Gonna need explanation about this Darth Vader helmet. Because last we saw it… it was being burned, no? So did, like, Luke Skywalker go in afterwards and get it out? Isn’t that a little weird? Luke, explain yourself.
6. First celebrity sighting: R2-D2. He’s looking very good for his age.
7. It also looks like they’re on a lava planet. Is this Mustafar? This is also a planet I don’t expect anyone other than insane die-hard Star Wars fans to know off the top of their head.
8. Also, that looks like a robotic hand.
9. I mean, it looks like the right hand, and that’s the hand that Luke had cut off. But, he’s got faux-skin over it. So… this can’t be Luke. So… who else has a robotic hand?
10. Unless this is Anakin (aka Vader) on Mustafar a long, long time ago.
11. Apologies for falling very far down into this Star Wars mythology hole.
12. A lightsaber is handed to someone, and I once again become very upset that no one has ever handed ME a lightsaber.
13. “The force is strong in my family. My father has it. I have it. My sister has it. You have that power, too,” Luke explains in a voice over, and now we’ll spend the next 8 months wondering who he’s talking to.
14. Shot of the lightsaber with the tri-blades. Adam Driver may or may not be wielding it.
15. First shots of newcomers Rey (Daisy Ridley) and Finn (John Boyega) running away from a pretty big explosion. Very worried about them, because they seem like kids. What kind of trouble are they causing?
16. They’ve also got new droid, BB8 with them.
17. BB8 is cute, no?
18. But is he R2 cute? Like does he beep? Has this been discussed before? Can I buy a BB8 online yet?
19. Then there are shots of stormtroopers. And TIE Fighters. I though those guys had been defeated. I’ve got a bad feeling about this.
20. The ships are also shooting at each other inside a loading bay, so like, that can’t be safe at all.
21. Dying to know about Finn. Is he a stormtrooper? (Confirmed, he is!) Where does he fit into all of this? Why does he always look so sad and worried? I really, REALLY hope he’s the one with the Force.
22. I don’t know why, but this is my favorite shot of the whole trailer. I love it. It feels like something we would see in the ORIGINAL Star Wars movies. I feel like this movie is really trying to return to that look and feel. Thank you, director J.J. Abrams.
Abrams explained he really wanted to take the movie back to its roots, saying at SWC, “The thing that struck me, and wouldn’t get out of my head, was just how real you knew and felt Star Wars was when you saw A New Hope,” he explained to the crowd. “It’s Star Wars. There are going to be an endless number of effects, CG and otherwise, but we needed to set a standard that was real, that felt like you knew those people were in those places.” PRAISE.
That’s why I love the above shot so much. It’s so real.
23. “Chewie, we’re home.”
25. *continues crying*
26. *stop crying for a sec to wonder, “wait, where are they?”
27. *realizes it doesn’t even matter, they could be on Dagobah for all I care, but they’re home!!!*
28. Actually, this is my favorite shot. Han Solo and Chewbacca, together again.
29. *resumes crying at the sight of the yellow STAR WARS logo*
30. Teaser trailer ends. Immediately hits play again.
And there you have it. The new Star Wars: The Force Awakens trailer. If anyone needs me I’ll be cuddling with my stuffed Chewie and watching this on repeat all day — all day, every day till December 18th, 2015.