14 Music Videos With Celebrity Cameo Party Crashers
Recently, Haim turned their latest video, My Song 5, into a party and invited Kesha and SNL’s Vanessa Bayer to stop by and play pretend. Vampire Weekend’s Ezra Koenig, Big Sean and Grimes also popped in for cameos. No bigs. There are few things finer than when our favorite celebrities crash our favorite musicians’ music videos. Whether they’re just playing themselves or doing something totally out of character, it’s mind-bending to see these two worlds collide. And it’s nice to know that even though we no longer pay as much attention to music videos as we did perhaps in the days of TRL, that hasn’t stopped musicians from making amazing videos and getting their best friends to stop by for some extra celebrity cameo cred. Let’s check out some of the finest of yesterday and today:
1. Zooey Deschanel in The Offspring’s “She’s Got Issues”
What better celeb is there to kick off the list than Zooey herself? Before she was making her own melodies in She & Him, she starred in this video as a punk rock chick who’s got issues. But not one with her hair. The hair is killer.
2. Jake Gyllenhaal, Joe Jonas, RZA, and Lil Jon in Vampire Weekend’s “Give Up the Gun”
Great wardrobe, great casting, and a catchy song can’t go wrong. Jake Gyllenhaal’s lascivious smug performance (and tear-away pants revealing tennis-ready short-shorts) definitely steals the show.
3. Kristen Stewart, Anne Hathaway, and Brie Larson in Jenny Lewis’ “Just One of the Guys”
Hopefully you’ve seen this gem by now. I think we all just wanna be one of Jenny’s guys.
4. Zach Galifianakis in Fiona Apple’s “Not About Love”
Zach takes this song to a whole new level. He charmingly reads the lyrics off a sheet, executes elegant dance moves on land and in the sea, and manages to pull focus from Fiona. Blue ribbons to this one.
5. Alicia Silverstone and Liv Tyler in Aerosmith’s “Crazy”
No list like this would be complete without this iconic video. In case you somehow missed it and have been living under a rock. It doesn’t get better than casting your own daughter as a sexy rebel child running wild and dancing up on a stripper pole. Intercut with your shirtless stage antics, of course.
6. Melissa Joan Hart and Adrien Grenier in Britney Spears’ “You Drive Me (Crazy)”
I love a good movie/music video tie-in. This video basically brought together two teen queens of different realms for a soundtrack video for the movie Drive Me Crazy. And with both at the height of their powers, they made magic. Also, Adrien Grenier was there.
7. Jason Bateman, Ed Helms, Will Forte, and Jason Sudeikis in Mumford and Sons’ “Hopeless Wanderer”
The actor-comedians are transformed into a version of the bearded hipster band. Watch as they play act the folksy tune, dance, cry, kiss, and destroy the stage and their instruments with just as much skill as any seasoned rockers on the block.
8. Ben Affleck in Jennifer Lopez’s “Jenny from the Block”
Remember Bennifer? Remember this video? Well, now we do! Now we all do. Never forget.
9. Matthew McConaughey in Butch Walker and the Black Widows’ “Synthesizers”
Matthew reprises his role from Dazed and Confused. He looks like he just stepped out of a time machine since this video is from 2012 and he basically looks exactly the same as he did in 1993.
10. James Van Der Beek in Kesha’s “Blow”
James never looked more natural than beside Kesha amongst a sea of unicorn-headed dancers. They make fun of each other and have a rainbow-phaser dance battle. Perfection.
11. Johnny Depp, Faye Dunaway, and Matt LeBlanc in Tom Petty’s “Into the Great Wide Open”
Johnny lives the full rock star lifestyle in the video, starting as unknown and hitting the heights of fame. Get your grunge-y Johnny fix here, folks. Don’t blink or you’ll miss Matt in the last few seconds of the video.
12. Kate Moss in The White Stripes’ “I Just Don’t Know What to do With Myself”
When in doubt, hire Sofia Coppola to direct, get Kate Moss to agree to dance while scantily clad, and go with an artful black and white color scheme. Can’t lose.
13. Aubrey Plaza and Jake Johnson in JC Brooks & The Uptown Sound’s “Rouse Yourself”
You’ve got Aubrey. You’ve got New Girl’s Jake Johnson. And Jake has what appears to be a vision board in the opening of the video. A+, gang.
14. Christopher Walken in Fatboy Slim’s “Weapon of Choice”
This is the end-all be-all, if you ask me. The man’s got moves.
Featured image via here