Happy Birthday, Kirsten Dunst!
Today (April 30th) is Kirsten Dunst’s 32nd birthday! It seems like this chica has been in movies forever, probably because, since she started as a child star, most of us grew up with her and we’ve been seeing her onscreen for decades. Kirsten’s grown up to be cool and stylish adult and a versatile actress who makes interesting choices and works with interesting directors (Sophia Coppola, Lars Von Trier). We’re celebrating Kirsten’s birthday today by taking a glance back at her accomplishments and achievements, along with some fun bits of trivia about her life.
- Kirsten has dual American and German citizenship because her father is originally from Hamburg, Germany.
- At 7, Kirsten made her film debut in Woody Allen‘s short film Oedipus Wrecks for the anthology New York Stories.
- She was nominated for a Golden Globe Award for Best Supporting Actress at the tender age of 12 for her performance in Interview with a Vampire. The same year, she appeared in Little Women (my personal favorite) and the following year she had a role in Jumanji. Clearly, child stardom looked good on Kirsten.
- She has a fairly insanely long resumé of films and shows, including ER, Wag the Dog, Small Soldiers, The Virgin Suicides, Drop Dead Gorgeous, Bring It On, Get Over It, and Crazy/Beautiful.
- You’ll also remember her from Spider-Man as Mary Jane Watson – this is the role that provided her with international fame. After playing Tobey Maguire’s love interest, Kirsten also took roles in Wimbledon, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (another personal favorite), Elizabethtown (which I admittedly just watched to see Orlando Bloom… sorry, Kirsten), Marie Antoinette, and How to Lose Friends & Alienate People.
- For her performance in the dark drama Melancholia, Dunst won the Best Actress Award at the Cannes Film Festival in 2011, as well as the Saturn Award for Best Actress.
- In early 2008, Kirsten was checked in to the Cirque Lodge treatment center in Utah for her depression. She checked out a few months later and began filming All Good Things. It wasn’t until May that she went public with her treatment for depression. She wanted to talk about it and highlight a common struggle faced by many women in the industry. Very inspiring!
- When it comes to her love life, Kirsten dated Jake Gyllenhaal from 2002 to 2004. And the latest we’ve heard is her connection to On the Road co-star Garrett Hedlund, who she has been dating since 2012.
- Kirsten isn’t afraid to try new avenues within acting, and she sang for the first time in a movie during her role in Get Over It in 2001.
- Kirsten is very involved in charity work. She works with the Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation, and she helped design and promote a fundraiser necklace for the cause. In 2008, she participated in the “Stand Up to Cancer” telethon in order to help raise funds for breast cancer research and promote awareness. A year later, she also participated in the Teleton in Mexico, to help raise money to treat cancer and rehabilitate children effected.
- Kirsten lives modestly, despite her fame and fortune. She lives in a one bedroom New York apartment.
- And now, a few wise quotes from the birthday girl:
“Why would I cry over a boy? I would never waste my tears on a boy. Why waste your tears on someone who makes you cry?“
“But the real secret to total gorgeousness is to believe in yourself, have self confidence, and try to be secure in your decisions and thoughts.“
“Confidence is very sexy. You could be not cute at all and have such confidence.“
Happy Birthday, Kirsten!
Featured Image via fanpop.com