Lena Dunham had the best response after a magazine put her on the cover of a "diet tips" special
After a magazine paired a picture of Lena Dunham next to a feature about “diet tips” on its cover, the Girls star had something to say about it.
Now, we know that Lena Dunham isn’t afraid to speak her mind, especially when it comes to her body and feeling comfortable in her own skin. The 30-year-old writer, actor, and producer has been known to speak out when she’s been shamed for her fashion choices or her body and has insisted on appearing on the cover of magazines without any photoshop work being done. All of these are reasons why she’s totally an inspiration to us, and we couldn’t applaud her more for living her life the way she wants to.
So, when a picture of Lena Dunham appeared next to headline about “diet tips” on the cover of a magazine, the star took to Instagram to talk about what “diet tips” really mean for her.
The cover alludes to the fact that Lena has been on her own weight loss journey, but in a lengthy post the star shared the magazine cover alongside 20 of her own tips for “dieting.”
The star mentions her ongoing experiences with anxiety and the “resultant constant nausea,” before going on to discuss issues like the presidential election result, constant trolling and threats online, “watching institutions you love from Planned Parenthood to PBS be threatened by cartoon mustache-twirling villains,” “worrying ceaselessly about the health and safety of women you know and women you don’t,” and even having her phone number leaked online.
Finally, at number 20, Dunham wrote.
See the full list of Lena Dunham’s “20 diet tips” below.
- 1. anxiety disorder *
- 2. resultant constant nausea
- 3. an election that reveals the true depths of American misogyny
- 4. constant sweaty dreams of dystopian future
- 5. abdominal adhesions pinning ovary below uterus *
- 6. baseless but still harrowing threats to physical safety online and through smail mail
- 7. watching institutions you love from Planned Parenthood to PBS be threatened by cartoon mustache-twirling villains
- 8. finally realizing superheroes aren’t real (specifically the X-Factor, really thought they’d handle this)
- 9. marching your ass off
- 10. a quiet rage that replaces need for food with need for revenge
- 11. sleeping 19 hours a day
- 12. realizing that even the liberal media wants dem clicks no matter whut
- 13. worrying ceaselessly about the health and safety of women you know and women you don’t
- 14. realizing who ya real friends are
- 15. having to switch from Uber to Lyft (lots of calories burned trying to understand a new app, then even more trying to understand if the conflict was resolved)
- 16. bladder spasms, urinary frequency and urgency *
- 17. having your phone number leaked and violent images texted to your phone by randos under names like VERYFATCHUCKYBOY@creepz.com
- 18. keeping your back arched against the wind
- 19. um, who the fuck cares?
- 20. I have no tips I give no tips I don’t want to be on this cover cuz it’s diametrically opposed to everything I’ve fought my whole career for and it’s not a compliment to me because it’s not an achievement thanx * Star indicates a pre-existing condition
This is exactly the sort of sense we’ve come to expect from Lena Dunham, and we totally respect her for speaking out about this matter. The star previously took to Instagram to speak out against people discussing her body, noting that “my body belongs to ME—at every phase, in every iteration, and whatever I’m doing with it, I’m not handing in my feminist card to anyone.”
As Lena has said, her body shouldn’t be up for discussion unless she wants it to be. Power to you, Lena, for opening up about such an important topic!