How much are we all LOOOOOVING Comedy Central’s newest show, Inside Amy Schumer? This girl is damn funny! Through a series of scripted vignettes, stand-up comedy, and man-on-the-street interviews, Schumer explores topics revolving around sex, relationships, and the general clusterf**k that is life. Schumer riffs on everything from ‘sexting’ to roasting a dying 12-year-old to envisioning a female version of Hooters.
We can’t get enough of Amy’s new show, and here are five reasons why:
1) She radiates confidence but isn’t afraid to be vulnerable. She openly shares her sexual missteps with impeccable comedic timing and relatability. The stuff that you would probably only share with your closest BFF. But it’s not all bold prowess. She peppers in scenes that exhibit her occasional loneliness as well. Check out the hilarious exclusive sneak peek of tomorrow’s episode below.
Warning: this video includes strong language. Viewer discretion advised.
2) She’s gloriously raunchy. Remember how disgusted you were when “2 Girls 1 Cup” took over the internet? Remember how shocking it was? I don’t recommend checking it out if you haven’t seen it. It’s FOR SURE #NSFW. Leave it to Amy to bring it back with an awesome clip of her auditioning for it. The casting director even asks her to lose 3-5 lbs for the project. She replies with a crack about weight loss being no problem with what is required for the scene. Ha! And…gross. But that’s just it. That’s the magic of Amy Schumer. She’ll make you feel uncomfortable with the lines that she crosses, but at the same time, will make you feel at home with how relaxed and real she is.
3) She’s got the incredible Tig Notaro on her writing staff. We all know Tig’s amazing story by now. If not, check it out here and here. But to know Tig is one of the writers, you know you’re in good hands and will come dangerously close to wetting your pants from laughter.
4) She turns everyday-nothings into hilarious somethings. That awkward moment when you attempt a sexy selfie and end up looking totally constipated? Amy goes there. Ever eaten spaghetti straight out of the strainer? Amy has too. This boring day-to-day minutia is not usually worth recounting, unless Amy is doing it. Then it’s amazing.
5) She’s on a channel of men’s shows and men’s ads and she celebrates being a woman. And she’s still KILLING IT in the ratings. With your TV neighbors being the bros from Workaholics, Tosh.0, South Park, Key and Peele, and others, you know that the viewers are predominantly male. A NYT review of the show touches on this as well: “Comedy Central broadcasts few shows from a woman’s point of view, and this sketch has a certain art-imitating-life quality. Our ad buys are for men, so we can’t lose them,” said Brooke Posch, the executive in charge of production for the channel, whose audience is 60 percent men. “Amy celebrates being a girl and being girly. Amy gets 50-50 male-female demos. Her relatability is amazing.”
Catch new episodes of Inside Amy Schumer on Comedy Central Tuesdays at 10:30/9:30c.