Braid it up with this quick and easy personalized keychain
Attention, Girl Scouts (former and current): this DIY is for you! Crafting this cute little keychain will take you right back to the days of campfires, cookie sales, and, of course, lanyard making. All you need is some leather cording—the brighter the better—and a few minutes of free time. And no worries if you aren’t a super experienced braider—these simple steps will easily help you weave a polished fishtail-style keychain in no time!
- Leather cording in three colors
- Lanyard clasp
- Initial charm
- Basic sewing needle
- Thread in a corresponding color to the cording
- Measuring tape
- Safety pin
- Measure and cut 2-foot pieces of each color of cording.
- Loop the cording around the base of the lanyard clasp, and tie a firm knot. You should now have one strand of each color on either side of the knot.
- Use the safety pin to attach the lanyard clasp to a sturdy base (such as your pant leg).
- Bring the left strand of one of the colors towards the center (in this case, I began with the blue). Bring the right strand of the same color to the center, and cross the left strand.
- Repeat the above steps with the other two colors of cording. The process is similar to making a fishtail braid. You should end up creating chevrons in a repeating pattern of colors.
- Continue braiding until you have a strand that is 3-inches long.
- Cut a couple of feet of thread and fold it in half, then thread the needle and tie a knot.
- Wind the thread around the base of the braid several times to hold it in place.
- Unpin the braid from your braiding surface.
- Trim the loose ends of the cording down to 2 inches.
- Place the initial charm on the knot at the top of the braid, and use the needle and thread to sew it in place.
- Clip your completed keychain to your keys, and enjoy your cute new accessory!