Alim Kheraj
December 07, 2016 3:16 am
Silver Screen Collection/Getty Images

Following the outcry earlier this week, the director of The Last Tango in ParisBernardo Bertolucci, has released a statement defending the controversial rape scene involving Marlon Brando and Maria Schneider.

Last week, an old interview of Bertolucci discussing the scene, which sees Brando’s character rape Schneider’s character with a stick of butter, surfaced in which the director told how Schneider wasn’t informed of the controversial sexual assault scene. The video caused uproar on social media, with actors such as Chris Evans, Jessica Chastain, and Anna Kendrick condemning both Brando and Bertolucci.

Speaking in the interview, Bertolucci said that he wanted Schneider “to react humiliated,” adding that, “I think she hated me and also Marlon because we didn’t tell her.”

Now Bertolucci has responded to allegations that Schneider wasn’t informed of the scene.

In a statement released on Monday (December 5th), the Italian director, whose last film was released in 2012, said that he wanted to clear up any misunderstanding regarding his comments.

United Artists

Bertolucci’s comments are a direct contradiction to a 2007 interview that Maria Schneider gave where she said that the infamous butter scene wasn’t included in the script.

Speaking to The Daily Mail, the actor said that she felt “a little raped.”

Sadly, Schneider passed away in 2011 at the age of 58. The actor never filmed another nude movie scene again, and relocated her career to France after filming Last Tango.

If you have experienced sexual violence and are in need of crisis support, please call the RAINN Sexual Assault Hotline at 1-800-656-HOPE (4673).

Advertisement