Happy Earth Day to all you wonderful earthlings!
Yesterday was a great day to start some new traditions, dedicate yourself to some old ones, or turn over a bright green leaf. Together with The Rainforest Alliance and many of you, dear readers, we made an Earth Day PSA to inspire, bring joy, share some tips and put a smile on our faces as we celebrate the great Mother to us all… Mother Earth!
Below are some sobering facts on the state of our planet, some tips to green-ify and glorify your everyday life and some messages to share with friends today!
1) 2012 was the warmest and second most extreme year on record for the contiguous United States.
2) One in four mammals is at risk for extinction.
3) There are not, in fact, more fish in the sea. 50% to 90% of ocean fish are threatened by overfishing, including favorites like tuna, salmon, cod and sea bass.
4) Just 1% of China’s 560 million urban residents breathe air that is considered safe by the European Union.
5) Less than 1% of the world’s freshwater is available for human use, and the amount of water that is safe for use is declining rapidly due to pollution and contamination.
6) Every year, some 32 million acres of rainforest are lost – an area the size of England, Wales and Scotland combined. These forests hold more than 50% of all living creatures on Earth.
7) According to the US National Cancer Institute, 70% of the plants useful in the treatment of cancer are found only in rainforests.
8) If the rest of the world lived like the typical American, we would need three to five planets to provide sufficient resources.
9) At the current rate of tropical forest loss, five to 10% of tropical rainforest species will be lost each decade.
Here’s what you can do to make a difference:
* Ride your bike.
* Bring re-usable bags to the store. Re-use plastic bags.
* Eat/buy locally (food, crafts, etc).
* Use less water.
* Turn off the lights when you aren’t using them…when you leave the room.
* Unplug chargers when you are not using them.
* Use public transportation.
* Buy vintage (recycle clothes). Dumpster dive. One person’s trash is another person’s treasure.
* No plastic bottles. Bring your own H2O bottle with you everywhere.
* Use green lightbulbs/change all your bulbs to energy efficient ones.
* Sign up for wind energy.
* Reduce your output of trash. Be mindful of too much packaging.
* Shop at your local farmers market.
* Buy follow the frog products. Look for the Rainforest Alliance Certified seal when you shop.
* Know where your food comes from.
* Cook at home instead of ordering out.
* Buy in bulk. (Less packaging.)
* Use rags instead of paper towels.
* Do clothing swaps.
* Shop at small businesses.
* Plant a garden- at home, at your office, at your school.
* Teach your children to be responsible stewards of the environment.
Some Inspiring Messages to share with friends today:
* Do your part.
* Be mindful & consume mindfully.
* Become part of a Global Community that’s working to save our planet.
All Our Love and SHINE ON!
Sarah Sophie Flicker, Rebecca Fernandez, Maximilla Lukacs and Tennessee Thomas