These people found a dead bat in their pre-mixed salad, and we will never be okay again

Caution, folks: You’ll want to eat your lunch ~before~ reading this!

In today’s horrifying and disturbing news, two Floridians have reported finding a dead bat in a prepackaged grocery store salad…but only *after* eating some of said salad. The Guardian reports that the two immediately contacted authorities including the Center for Control and Prevention (CDC) upon discovering the dead animal. The deceased animal was promptly sent to CDC labs to test for rabies, however, tests were inconclusive due to the animal’s decomposing and “deteriorating condition.”


USA Today reports that the pre-mixed salad was an “Organic Marketside Spring Mix” from Fresh Express, which is sold exclusively through Walmart. Fresh Express has since issued a recall for the 5 oz. organic salad bags with a production code of G089B19, best if used by April 14th. The “precautionary recall” only affects these specific Fresh Express salads in the southeast, and all other salads by the brand are considered okay.

Both Fresh Express and Walmart worked swiftly to remove the questionable salads promptly after the disturbing incident made waves.

“Upon receiving notification, both Walmart and Fresh Express food safety and rapid response teams, in close coordination with regulatory authorities, acted immediately to review all relevant records, launch an intensive investigation and initiate product removal and recall procedures,” the press release read.

“Fresh Express takes matters of food safety very seriously and rigorously complies with all food safety regulations including the proscribed Good Agricultural Practices.”

Anyone with the potentially contaminated salad bags is instructed to trash them immediately, and refunds are being issued by the Fresh Express Consumer Response Center.

As for the two unfortunate leafy green lovers who purchased that fateful prepackaged salad bag, they are reportedly in good condition. And while it’s unclear if the bat contracted rabies before it’s untimely demise, it’s extremely unlikely they could contract the disease themselves by eating an affected animal. CDC officials have recommended treatment for the two as a precautionary measure, though.

Filed Under