Justin Bieber has responded to the sexual assault allegation against him
Trigger warning: This article discusses sexual assault.
On Saturday, June 20th, a woman named Danielle tweeted allegations of sexual assault against Justin Bieber. She started her story by writing that she was inspired by Twitter user @ItsGabby who came forward with a sexual assault allegation against Ansel Elgort the day before. “After hearing about Gabby’s story with Ansel, it gave me courage to share mine. So this is a thank you to Gabby,” Danielle wrote in since-deleted tweets.
She went on to share her story, claiming that she was sexually assaulted by Bieber on March 9, 2014, when she and some friends went to an event in Houston, Texas, where Bieber did a surprise performance. She wrote that a man approached her and her friends, asking if they wanted to meet Bieber after the show, and they said yes. Eventually, she alleged that she ended up alone in a hotel room at the Four Seasons hotel with Bieber. After they allegedly started kissing, she asked him to stop, she wrote, because she wanted to find her friends and felt guilty on account of Selena Gomez, who Bieber was dating at the time. She claimed that he told her to relax, then undressed her and got on top of her.
“I was very uncomfortable and I felt myself starting to hyperventilate,” Danielle wrote. “I told him to get off because I was starting to worry about my friends, but it was too late. He forced himself inside me before I got the last few words out.”
Danielle said that she first opened up about her story late last year, telling her story to her close friends and immediate family. “It was hard, but I finally got to tell my story,” she wrote. “If you’ve ever been a victim of sexual assault, I believe you. You and your story matter. You are valid. You are heard. I will stand with you.”
On Sunday night, Bieber responded to the allegation in a string of tweets, calling Danielle’s story “factually impossible.”
“I don’t normally address things as I have dealt with random accusations my entire career but after talking with my wife and team I have decided to speak up on an issue tonight,” Bieber started. He wrote that sexual abuse isn’t something he doesn’t “take lightly” and that he waited until he had “gathered the facts” before making a statement.
He started by claiming that he was at the concert with then-girlfriend Gomez, also using an Us magazine article from 2014 as proof that they were there together.
He went on to share screenshots of receipts from his Airbnb from March 9th and the Westin from March 10th, denying that he stayed at the Four Seasons.
Bieber finished, writing, “Every claim of sexual abuse should be taken very seriously and this is why my response was needed. However this story is factually impossible and that is why I will be working with twitter and authorities to take legal action.”
Gomez hasn’t spoken out to confirm or deny Bieber’s claims that he was with her at an Airbnb at the time of the alleged assault.