Sammy Nickalls
January 13, 2016 1:55 pm

Apparently, shopping for a new case for your iPhone has a serious element of danger. That’s what one family in England learned in a very terrifying way.

Recently, mom Karly Retter took to Facebook to share a picture of her daughter’s leg that had been severely burned. . . from her iPhone 5C. Her nine-year-old daughter, Olivia, snuck the phone into her room and fell asleep.

“Olivia is not supposed to have her phone in her bedroom at night but she sneaked it in and had it in her bed, so she fell asleep with it touching her leg,” Karly told The Mirror. “She woke up in the middle of the night and came into my room and said her leg was hurting — I just thought she was being silly and sent her back to bed.”

However, the pain was coming from a nasty burn on her leg. “I was so shocked a phone case could do that,” Karly told The Mirror. “Doctors have said it is a severe chemical burn and she will be scarred for life. I can’t believe it, she will have a scar in the shape of a phone on her leg.”

// < ![CDATA[ //

The burn didn’t come from the iPhone itself, but from the glittery unicorn case, which was purchased for £5.99 (approximately $8.66) from a New Look store. The glitter had leaked out of the case — although Karly said there was no crack in the case they could see — and because it apparently contained acid, it burned her leg.

Karly has called the New Look store several times, but hasn’t got a response. “There wasn’t a safety warning or anything at all on the case itself – nothing which warns you what was inside is a chemical which can cause serious burns,” Karly told The Mirror. “Imagine if it had leaked when Olivia was on the phone or holding it to her face. You just don’t think something like that could happen. A lot of young girls have similar phone cases and they have no idea how dangerous they are.”

Although Karly hasn’t received a response from the store, a spokesperson for New Look told The Mirror in a statement:

(Image via Facebook.)

Advertisement