Meaghan Kirby
January 24, 2018 2:44 pm

The sun is going down on Sir Elton John’s touring career. The prolific singer announced a brand new tour — and revealed that it would be his last. But before he goes breaking our hearts just yet, Elton John’s going to make the most of the three-year Farewell Yellow Brick Road Tour, which includes five continents and three hundred stops.

After serenading the crowd at New York City’s Gotham Hall and fans tuning into the livestream with hits like “Tiny Dancer” and “I’m Still Standing,” the five-time Grammy winner revealed to CNN’s Anderson Cooper that his farewell tour would start in September.

John told Cooper that while he doesn’t plan to stop making music, his priorities have changed and he’s looking forward to having the (Philadelphia) freedom from touring to spend more time with his family, including husband David Furnish and their two young children.

Kevin Mazur/WireImage

Pushing back on claims that his retirement stems from ill-health, he said, “If you’re going to do 300 shows, you’re not in ill-health. I’m in great health.”

John was referring to his hospitalization last year after contracting a serious bacterial infection in South America. But after recovering from the illness, the singer quickly said, “The Bitch is Back” and resumed performing.

John admitted that he thought he’d be on tour forever but revealed that having his children has changed his perspective, explaining that the kids will be 10 and eight when his three-year tour ends and he doesn’t want to spend their childhoods constantly away from them. He added that Furnish and their sons will be joining him for a large part of the tour.

While the prospect of the final Elton John tour is giving us the blues, the “Circle of Life” singer told Cooper that he’s going out with a bang — like the Rocket Man he is.

Watch the whole announcement here:

Tickets for the first leg of his tour, which kicks off in Allentown, Pennsylvania in September, will go on sale on February 2nd.

Advertisement