Big news about one of the Bill Cosby sexual assault cases
It’s been 9 months since Hannibal Burress’ comedy routine about Bill Cosby went viral, a routine that took Cosby to task for the rape allegations that have followed the famous comedian for decades. In the year that’s followed, the public opinion has turned against Cosby, and dozens of women have come forward to testify that Bill Cosby had also sexually assaulted them. As of this writing, 47 women have come forward and shared stories regarding their assault at the hands of Cosby.
It is only this year that Cosby’s crimes have really made their way into the public consciousness, and retribution has been quick. Late last year, Netflix and NBC both shelved projects they were working on with Cosby. This summer The Cosby Show reruns were pulled from the lineup. Comedians loudly spoke out against Cosby, including Larry Wilmore, who devoted an entire episode of his show to the allegations, and Judd Apatow, who has been adamant about keeping Cosby’s name and everything he has been accused of at the forefront of public conversation.
That said, all of consequences Cosby has experienced up until this summer have been career or public-image related. Now, however, things are taking a legal turn, as we just learned that Cosby is going to be forced to testify in one of the mounting sexual assault cases against him.
In December of last year, 56-year-old Judith Huth filed a civil suit against Cosby, claiming the comedian molested her at the Playboy Mansion in 1974 when she was fifteen years old. Cosby petitioned to review the case, but, as Time reports, on Wednesday night the California Supreme Court denied this petition, which means that the suit will be permitted to move on to the trial phase.
Ruth’s attorney, Gloria Allred, explained to Business Insider, that, in the wake of the court’s decision, she planned to procure Cosby’s sworn deposition within the next 30 days.
“We are looking forward to Mr. Cosby answering questions under oath at his deposition,” Allred told Business Insider. “It’s a very big victory.”
This court decision is coming right on the heels of the Associated Press convincing a judge to allow the opening and release of Bill Cosby’s deposition from a civil lawsuit filed by Andrea Constand, a statement in which Cosby stated that he had obtained Quaaludes to give to women with whom he intended to have sex.
Cosby’s guilt has been debated for the better part of the year in the Court of Public Opinion. We’ll be watching closely as the issue makes its way into an actual court of law.
(Image via Shutterstock)