This mom’s burn injury is an important reminder to keep your baby far away while you’re cooking

Baby carriers are a godsend to new moms who want to keep their little ones close and have their hands free to complete household tasks. But, one mom’s burn injury is a reminder to keep your baby far away while you’re cooking — and she’s sharing her story on social media to warn other parents of the dangers of having a child close to the stove.

Molly Landis was cooking when a stove burner explosion caused a burst of fire to discharge towards her face, neck, and chest.

Landis suffered severe burns, but thankfully her 4-week-old daughter happened to be napping rather than resting on her mom’s chest like usual.

If she had been carrying her daughter, the baby’s head would have been resting directly where Landis’ most severe burn is located. “This is horrible and painful but I haven’t been able to stop thinking about how lucky I truly am,” she writes.

"On this particular night a guardian angel was watching over me and my baby because for the first time in her life she fell asleep in her swing and I wasn't wearing her in the kitchen."


Landis’ post went viral, and many moms have expressed their gratitude because they frequently carry their babies while in the kitchen — and now they know to keep their little ones far away from any appliances.

"The point of my message is to please be cautious of the activities we do while wearing our babies!" Landis says.

We wish Landis a speedy recovery and thank her for sharing such an important message.

Filed Under