An iPhone battery exploded after a man bit into it, and, um, what?

We’ll be the first to admit that we’re addicted to our iPhones. We can’t help it — everything we need is right there at our fingertips. But this story might make you re-think your technology addiction. Or at least your relationship with your smartphone. Why? Because an iPhone battery exploded after a man bit into it.

On Friday, January 19th, a man shopping for a replacement iPhone battery caused quite the stir in an electronics store in China. Part of his shopping process included biting into the batteries. We’re not exactly sure why — perhaps to test the authenticity of the products? Either way, things did not go as planned. When he chomped down one product in particular, the iPhone battery exploded.

Think the story sounds too wild to be true? Well, there’s video evidence of the explosive incident. It was captured by the electronics store’s CCTV camera and shared online. The clip is short — just 10 seconds long — but shows the bite, a burst of light, a bang, and a cloud of smoke. You can also see the man and his friend duck to avoid what just happened. Also, the reactions from nearby shoppers are priceless.

Here’s the video of the iPhone battery exploding.

We have so many questions. Is the video real? Are the shoppers ok? Was that even an iPhone battery? After the iPhone battery exploded, did the man have to pay for it?

So, even though this sort of goes without saying, we’ll say it anyway: Please don’t bite your iPhone battery. Stick to reading the reviews.

Filed Under
 •  •