If you loved strawberry milk as a kid, this grown-up recipe will blow your mind
Flavored milk was one of those special after-school treats that many lucky kids looked forward to. There was chocolate milk and that was pretty great, and then there was strawberry milk, which took things to another level because it smelled exactly like cotton candy.
But then as we became adults, the whole flavored milk thing kind of lost traction, right?!
Well, prepare to have your tastebuds teased.
Gabrielle Hamilton has transformed regular strawberry milk into something far more gourmet, and we have the deets right here thanks to Smitten Kitchen! The recipe includes fresh strawberries for a nice fruit-kick, sugar, milk, and the surprising ingredient that ties it all together: buttermilk.
Yes, it’s unusual but hear us out! So, you may never have used buttermilk because it isn’t the most user-friendly liquid, but this recipe has the buttermilk sit overnight with strawberries and milk, so in the morning the flavor of it will be gone — and you’ll be left with a creamy, fruity, silky mixture.
Ingredients (makes 4 tall glasses or about 8 petite glasses)
- 1 pound strawberries, trimmed and sliced
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 cups milk
- 1 cup buttermilk
1. Mix strawberries with sugar and let them sit in a bowl macerating for an hour. They’ll get all syrup-y.
2. Blend strawberries with juices in the blender, then pour buttermilk into a pitcher and add the blended mix.
3. Give it a long rest in the fridge overnight.
4. Stir and DRIIIIIINK in the morning! (Yes, it’s that easy)
Yummmmmmmm: the sweet taste of strawberry nostalgia! The perfect breakfast snack!