Urban Dictionary defines “vanilla sex” as “Sex that involves no twists or kinkiness, and no S&M. Basically plain regular sex. Typically sweet and happy and very lovey-dovey.” And hey, that sounds pretty A-OK to us.
But vanilla sex tends to get a bad rap, it gets accused of being safe, boring, and same old-same old. When people talk about “spicing things up” they’re usually talking about “doing it any way BUT vanilla.” And that’s fine too. All sex that is consensual and enjoyable for the parties involved is thumbs up in our book.
Still, it seems worth giving a little love to our dear friend, vanilla sex. There is, after all, so much to love about Old Reliable:
1. You know exactly what you’re doing.
Because you’ve done this a million times before.
2. If you want to wear your sweatpants and tank top when you ~get it on~ that’s totally cool, too.
If you don’t want to change out of your PJs into ~sexy time~ clothes, that’s totally fine. You can be in your comfy, lounging-around-the-house clothes and have sex and it will still be awesome.
3. Because missionary (or whatever position you assume the most) feels wonderful.
So what’s wrong with feeling awesome? (Nothing.)
4. If you feel intimidated by sex toys, then you don’t have to use them.
Unless you (and your partner) want to. Take your time when you experiment —there really is no pressure.
5. No one will be disappointed.
Sometimes, when you try new things out in bed, it might not go the way you planned it on going.
6. There will never be a post-game wrap-up.
You don’t have to have that “it’s okay babe, we tried” conversation.
7. You’ll never pull a muscle.
Well, you might. But the odds are ever in your favor.
8. You don’t have to deal with sticky food all over your body.
Because chocolate and whipped cream can be messy and your sheets can get stained and then smell weird the next day.
9. You don’t have to agree on a safe word
In most cases you don’t have to use a safe word if you’re not doing anything that would normally require a safe word.
10. Because candles and rose petals make up for lovely ambiance, and you don’t have to feel bad about it.
Even if they’re a lil’ overrated, they will make your bedroom look serene and fabulous.
11. Ultimately, orgasms and feeling good is anything BUT vanilla or boring.
So embrace your vanilla sex and get it on tonight (or whenever you want).