8 Reasons Why Olivia Wilde Is Our New Celebrity BFF
Olivia Wilde is more than just a cool girl — she’s a pretty good role model who gives great advice. “If you fall off a horse, you get back up,” she told Marie Claire, of her breakup from Italian prince Tao Ruspoli. “I am not a quitter. I hung on for as long as possible, until it was more hurtful to stay…I’m so grateful for the pain and the heartbreak. It gave me the courage to leave and brought me to the great love of my life.”
Wilde is talking, of course, about Jason Sudeikis, her co-collaborator and the father of her new baby. Wilde has taken Hollywood by storm, and proven she’s not here to serve as big-screen eye candy. Sure she’s gorgeous, but she’s also incredibly smart and naturally funny. Lately, she’s been expanding her repertoire: She wrote and directed a short in 2011, and executive produced the movie “Drinking Buddies.” She also killed it as a guest star on “Portlandia” this season. Is there anything she can’t do?
Here are a few more reasons why Olivia should be added to your girl-crush list:
1. She’s passionate about activism. Olivia worked with Alternative Apparel on a Message Bag that raises money for the Academy of Peace and Justice in Haiti. She also worked alongside her best friend, Babs Burchfield, which makes the involvement even sweeter. “We started to feel that the traditional means of fundraising was getting tiresome,” she said in an interview with Fashionista. “You know, just asking people for money. We thought about mixing passions of ours: philanthropy and fashion. We were dreaming of having a product that would have a purpose and the proceeds of which would go to this school.”
2. She’s not afraid to change it up. According to an interview with Redbook, Olivia has had a few different hues when it comes to her hair, which she started dying at the age of 12. And alas, she also had the same Manic Panic revelation we’ve all had. “I went through the whole Manic Panic line,” she told Redbook. “When you’re young, you don’t realize that you can’t instantly go from dark brown to platinum blonde. You’re like, ‘Why isn’t this working?’ And then your hair turns out green.” Don’t worry, Olivia figured it out.
3. Even though she went through a divorce, she never slammed her ex. And in the media, that can be pretty difficult to do. In fact, she made it clear that she respects him fully. “Tao was, and is, totally involved with his work, and for me there’s nothing sexier than a man who is busy and obsessed with what he’s doing,” she told Town & Country. “I guess I saw that in my parents’ marriage. They had real respect for their work and for each other.” She admits that it was quite a painful breakup, but sticks with the story that they simply grew apart. How classy is that?
4. She has a killer sense of humor. Olivia writes over at Glamour occasionally, and gave a great definition as to the differences between her 20’s and 30’s. “I’m hitting a major milestone: 30, or as I like to call it, the Cut the Bullsh-t and Go Be Awesome stage,” she wrote. “I’m thrilled about this impending development (I might finally grow boobs!), but my brain has some catching up to do (I’m gobsmacked when bartenders refuse to ask for my ID).” Let’s not forget about when she was interviewed by Billy Eichner, and couldn’t tell the difference between quotes by John Mayer and Pepe Le Pew.
5. While she’s a new mother, she thinks that women shouldn’t be pressured to have kids at a certain age. “I love kids with a passion I usually reserve for hot cheese, miniature chairs, and Prince concerts, but I feel no stress to reproduce simply because of a fear of withering eggs. Wait for the right partner, and make sure you’re where you want to be in life before picking neighborhoods based on school districts,” she wrote. It kind of makes her romance with Jason all the more adorable.
6. She reaches to her girl friends for guidance. One of her girl friends happens to be Jennifer Aniston, which is pretty cool. Jennifer Aniston has been in the industry for what seems like forever, so hearing about how she’s helped give some quality advice to Olivia kind of makes my heart melt. “She wrote me one of the most gracious, wise emails describing her journey and really wonderful words of advice about how to deal with it,” Olivia told Allure. We love girls who value the importance of their girl friends.
7. She thinks there’s a serious lack of movie roles for women. “Any woman working at any level in any part of Hollywood will tell you … it’s really hard to get any stories made that are about women,” she said. “Not just women being obsessed with men or supporting men. And it’s really hard to get men to be a part of films that are about women in a leading role. I’m really interested in how we can adjust that considering that it’s all based on the demand. Movies are made based upon what people are asking for. Magazines are sold based upon what they think people are asking for. So really the power is in our hands, and it’s really just a matter of asking for it much louder.”
8. Her twitter account is made of win.
No doubt about it, Olivia is the best. She’s the type of celebrity that you’d feel like you could approach and have a conversation with, without it getting weird. She views herself as a work in progress, which I think a lot of us can relate to. She’s open without seeming pushy, and funny without trying too hard. As a fellow 30-something, I aspire to think more like Olivia, and can’t wait to see where her career will take her next.
Image Credits: , Academy of Peace and Justice, Shutterstock, Twitter