Happy Friendship Day, everybody. Every year, on the first Sunday in August, we celebrate bestiehood (not that we don’t celebrate it all year round.)
Here’s the thing: Best friends are, well, the best. They check to see if you have dirt on your butt after sitting on the ground. They let you borrow that one awesome dress. They e-mail you pictures of cute baby animals to make your day less boring or stressful. They’re also really cool, amazing people who you should always strive to get to know even better than you already do. I know a lot of us are in that weird stage of adulthood where we find ourselves having less and less time for friends.
We have jobs, partners, cats—I mean, life is just hectic. However, that doesn’t mean your relationship with your bestie has to fade. There are ways of deepening and strengthening that bond, and no, you don’t have to go on a road trip to Ohio, or chip in on a timeshare. Simply ask your best friend some questions about herself. Sure, you talk about everything, but do you know what her first crush, or what type of bird she’d choose to be? Trust us, it matters. The following questions will spark some new, ridiculous, wonderful, deep, and deeply goofy conversations with your bestie.
1. Who are your top three lady heroes?
2. When you were little, what did you want to be?
3. Who do you think should run for president in two years?
4. What’s the best book you’ve read so far this year? Ever?
5. What makes you feel afraid?
6. Would you rather get lunch with Gillian Flynn or J.K. Rowling?
7. What’s your most embarrassing childhood memory?
8. If you had the option of adopting a baby fox or baby koala, which one would you choose?
9. What’s your dream job?
10. Who is your favorite mythological god/goddess?
11. Who was your first crush?
12. If you had to choose between using Internet Explorer forever, or permanently using an AOL e-mail address, which one would it be?
13. If you could either be a duck or an owl, which would you be?
14. What do you love about yourself most?
15. What don’t you like so much?
16. Rugrats or Doug?
17. Which house would you belong to in Game of Thrones? Like, very honestly.
18. If you got a (new) tattoo, what would it be of?
19. What would you like to eat for your last meal?
20. If you had to be on a reality TV show, which one would you choose?
21. Who has influenced you the most?
22. What are your favorite lyrics?
23. Real jeans or jeggings?
24. On the first day of ruling the world, what would you do?
25. If you were forced to open a bakery, what would you name it?
26. What’s the weirdest thing you’ve ever done on a date?
27. What do you hope to achieve by 50?
28. What has been your best moment this year (so far)?
29. Would you rather be stuck in traffic for two hours, or have Chipotle run out of guacamole forever?
30. Why are you so amazing?!