8 things you'll never say if you're a book nerd
The other night, my friend and I engaged in seriously heated debate aboutThe Fault in Our Stars. She loved the movie more than the book, and I disagreed. Now don’t get me wrong; I loved, loved, loved the movie and thought my girl Shailene Woodley and Ansel Egort were incredible. But John Green’s book was, in my opinion, just all of the best (even though it made me ugly cry like nobody’s business every. single. time).
In fact, I can say pretty confidently that in every case, the book is better than the movie. Every. Last. One. There is just something about being able to take the words an author has given you and see it come to life in your mind that cannot be replicated on the big screen, no matter how impressive the cast of actors. But that’s just the outspoken book nerd in me. If you’re a book nerd you’ll probably never say “the movie was better than the book.” No way, no how. And that’s not the only thing you’ll never hear a book nerd say:
1. “I don’t know what I want for Christmas/birthday/insert random holiday here.”
Because obviously the answer is books. Books, books, and more books. Or at least some sweet gift cards to a bookstore.
2. “Ugh. I’m so bored. There’s like, nothing to do.”
There really is no such thing as boredom when you’re a book nerd because every good book nerd knows to take a book with them wherever they go. At any one time I’ve got at least
one five in my purse (who needs crossfit when you’re lugging around hard covers all day?), in my car, and of course in every room of my apartment.
3. “I just really don’t like to read.”
This isn’t an actual thing people say, right?
4. “Nope, I don’t have any plans this weekend.”
The plan is there is no plan. Weekends are for reading all of the books.
5. “Nah, I don’t need to go into that bookstore. I already have enough books.”
6. “I think I’m going to call it a night and just go to sleep. That next chapter can wait until tomorrow.”
If you think I am going to be able to sleep without finding out what happens next, you’re absolutely bonkers. Bonkers, I tell you! There is always time to read one more chapter.
7. “We should totally build a snowfort!”
Everyone knows that booksforts > snowforts. Everyone.
8. “Oh you are too sweet but I don’t think I’ll need help moving.”
Of course I need help moving!! Who’s going to help me carry all these giant boxes of books!?