Sometimes, we all need a little reminder to just breathe. Essential oils can help; they naturally soothe our nerves and smell so good we can’t help calm ourselves. Instead of carrying a jar of lavender oil with us at all times, there’s an easier way to get an instant anti-stress fix. It turns out, polymer clay has magical powers and can hold onto scents for days at a time. Plus, this clay makes super cute jewelry.
Follow this DIY and create a personal aromatherapy cloud with this adorable crystal-inspired necklace. And remember to stop and smell the lavender essence.
DIY gemstone aromatherapy necklace
Different colors of polymer clay
Silicone mold (diamond used here)
Head pin loop
Chain & clasp (or an existing necklace chain)
Essential oil (Lavender, Bergamot, Rose, and Clary Sage are all great for de-stressing)
1. Take a grape-sized amount of each clay color and mix them together, twisting and kneading.
2. Squeeze the clay into the mold, pushing firmly to fill each crevice. Smooth the tops with your finger or a flat tool.
3. Put the mold in the freezer for 10 minutes so the clay hardens and will retain its shape.
4. Quickly and carefully push the clay gems out of the mold.
5. Add a headpin loop to the tops of the gems.
6. Place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and bake for 30 minutes at 225 degrees F.
7. Add a jump ring to the headpin loop and attach to a necklace chain. You can also make your own necklace chain by adding a jump ring and clasp at one end of a chain, and another jump ring at the other.
8. Add a single drop of the essential oil directly to the gem. Be sure to wait until the oil has absorbed, or rub it in, before placing on a stainable surface, as some essential oils may stain.