Some of us have had our periods for decades, but are still mystified about what’s going on down there and why. In the HelloGiggles series “Period Talk,” we asked gynecologists our biggest questions about all things period-related and finally get the answers to what is really going on . . . because everyone should be up-to-date on that time of the month! We managed to answer plenty of questions about our periods, we still have oh-so-many more:
1. What’s the best workout to help cramps?
Even though, let’s be real, working out during cramps is the LAST thing you wanna do.
2. Do I have bad cramps because my mom did, too?
3. If you get pregnant while on birth control, do you still miss your period?
Since periods while on birth control aren’t “real,” can you be unknowingly pregnant, on birth control, and still get those monthly “periods”. . . ?!
4. HOW CAN I TURN THIS OFF?!
Seriously though, Doc.
5. Am I actually going to get toxic shock syndrome or is everyone just freaking out over nothing?
Like, should you really be super worried if you accidentally leave a tampon in for an hour too late? Are you gonna DIE?
6. Why are some periods chunkier than others?
Yeah, we said it. Chunky. But honestly, what’s with all these clots?!
7. Why exactly do we retain water and feel bloated on our periods?
Is there anything we can do with your eating habits during your period to make this NOT happen? Because feeling like a water balloon is not fun.
8. Why are people so skeeved out by period sex?
It’s just blood. Like, c’mon. (Side note: Period sex can be more pleasurable than regular sex!)
9. Why haven’t scientists created healthy chocolate?!
We already know that eating healthy things on your period will make it less terrible, but the chocolate cravings are REAL. If scientists can transplant penises, they should be able to create healthy chocolate that’s equally as delicious as the normal stuff.
10. Why can’t society get rid of the period stigma?
Millions of women all over the world get periods. Periods are the reason why you and I exist. So can we stop getting grossed out by a little blood? Please and thank you. Now, pass the chocolate, please.