Make all your friends laugh with this "poop emoji meringue" recipe
These poop emoji meringues might look like sh*t, but they taste delicious—and they’re pretty much guaranteed to get a laugh. Meringues are typically a classy dessert, so giving them a silly makeover will surprise and delight everyone who sees them. Plus, they’re not just a novelty: they have a light chocolate flavor, and even their faces (made of white chocolate and candy sprinkles) are edible.
Bring these to your next birthday party, or better yet, invite friends over to make them with you. You’ll be sure to turn someone’s crappy day around. Watch the video below and follow the instructions to make the poop emoji meringues at home.
Poop Emoji Meringue
Makes 4 dozen (serving size: 1 meringue)
Active 15 min. Total 2 hours, 15 min.
4 large egg whites, at room temperature
1 tsp. brown food coloring gel, plus more if needed to reach desired color
1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup (about 2 oz.) powdered sugar
1 tbsp. unsweetened cocoa
1/2 cup white frosting (from 1 [16-oz.] container)
96 mini candy eyeballs
1. Preheat oven to 225°F. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Place egg whites in a clean, dry bowl. Beat with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until foamy. Add food coloring gel and cream of tartar. Increase speed to high; beat until mixture forms soft peaks. Gradually add granulated sugar, beating until whites are stiff and shiny.
3. Sift together powdered sugar and cocoa in a separate bowl. Gradually and gently fold powdered sugar mixture into egg white mixture until thoroughly incorporated. Transfer mixture to a large piping bag or large ziplock plastic freezer bag with 1 corner snipped to form a piping tip.
4. Pipe meringues onto prepared baking sheets, forming small “poop shapes” by piping a 1 1/2-inch-wide round, and swirling while lifting up bag. Bake in preheated oven until meringues are firm and dry, about 1 hour and 30 minutes. Turn off oven, and let meringues stand in oven with door closed for 20 minutes.
5. Remove meringues from oven, and cool completely on baking sheets set on wire racks, about 20 minutes. Gently peel meringues off parchment.
6. Place frosting in a small piping bag fitted with a writing tip. Pipe two dots on each meringue where you want to place the eyeballs; adhere eyeballs to frosting dots. Pipe a smile under eyeballs. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.