This DIY pencil holder helps add a little sparkle to your desk job
The “desk job” has always seemed like the ultimate grown-up career to me. After all, it combines a bunch of basic life skills — keeping schedules, working well with other people, and, of course, organization. And since “staying neat” is (thankfully) not synonymous with “being boring,” here’s a fun, office-ready DIY that will help keep your desk clear of clutter: A cute little pencil holder, collaged with colorful magazine cutouts. Who says working 9 to 5 has to be boring?
- Wooden container
- Old magazine(s)
- Mod Podge
- Foam brush
- Craft scissors
- Scratch paper
- Go through the magazine, clipping out pictures that you like. Continue until you have a good-sized pile.
- Clip out letters spelling “BOSS,” and an exclamation point as well.
- Cover your workspace with the scratch paper.
- Pour a small amount of the Mod Podge into a container. Use the foam brush to apply a thin layer of Mod Podge to the wooden container, and layer the magazine cutouts on top of it. Apply more Mod Podge to the top of the magazine cutouts to hold them in place. Continue layering the pieces until you are satisfied with the collage effect (you might need to let the Mod Podge dry between coats, depending on how many layers you want).
- After the Mod Podge has dried, apply the letters spelling “BOSS” and the exclamation point. Let dry completely.
- Use your cute new organizer to hold pencils, pens, flowers—whatever makes your space feel clean and bright!