Summer, to me, means being outdoors. Growing up in the Pacific Northwest, my summers were filled with hikes and sailing excursions, and long days where I’d stay outside for hours with a favorite book (usually Pride and Prejudice). All that outdoors time means plenty of sunshine, so a good pair of sunglasses has remained my go-to accessory. I love my trusty Ray-Ban Wayfarers, but after several years with me, their frames are beginning to show signs of wear.
This project is the perfect way to show your sunnies some TLC. The soft felt helps guard the glasses against scratches, and it’s small enough to slip into your purse or beach bag. I love the colors, too—the contrast of the yellow sun with the sky-blue background is bright and cheerful, and very summery!
- Blue felt
- Yellow felt
- Blue thread
- Yellow thread
- Basic sewing needle
- Straight pins
- Measuring tape
- Paper to make a template
- Ballpoint pen
- Optional: sewing machine
- Draw two rectangles onto the blue felt, 7-inches long by 4-inches wide. Cut them out.
- Draw a circle onto the paper, 2-inches in diameter. Cut it out.
- Draw a rectangle onto the paper, 1-inch long by 1/4-inch wide. Cut it out.
- Trace the circular template once onto the yellow felt, and trace the rectangular template 10 times. Cut all of the shapes out.
- Pin the yellow circle onto one of the blue pieces of felt, about 1-inch in from each of the sides of the rectangle.
- Pin each of the yellow rectangles around the circle, arranging them to look like the rays of a sun.
- Cut a couple of feet of yellow thread and fold it in half, then thread the needle and tie a knot.
- Stitch the yellow felt pieces to the blue felt piece. Use a looping motion, and keep your stitches close together to give the look of a solid line.
- After you have finished stitching, trim any ends of the yellow felt that stick out over the edge of the blue felt.
- Pin the two blue pieces together with right sides facing. Leave the short end on the opposite side of the appliquéd sun unpinned.
- Using the needle and blue thread or a sewing machine, stitch the blue pieces together. Keep your stitches 1/4-inch from the edge of the felt, and leave the unpinned side unstitched.
- Flip the completed case right side out, and slip your sunnies inside!