Banish your winter fashion blues with this colorful DIY hair scarf
When it comes to fashion and fabric, winter doesn’t really have one set pattern. We tend to associate spring with floral, autumn with plaid or tweed, and summer with tropical prints. Poor winter gets left out, but let’s change that and give these cold months one of the most cheerful patterns of all: polka dots!
These bright little dots were the inspiration for this week’s craft: a nifty hair scarf with plenty of retro flair. It’s long enough to tie as a headband—you can swap the knot to the front or the back, depending on your mood—but narrow enough to easily loop around a ponytail. But it’s the fabric that makes this piece special. Just looking at those rainbow polka dots chases the winter chill away!
- Polka dot cotton fabric
- Thread in a corresponding color to the fabric
- Paper to make a template
- Straight pins
- Measuring tape
- Basic sewing needle or sewing machine
- Ballpoint pen
- Iron and ironing board
- Draw a rectangle onto the paper, 18 inches long by three inches wide, and cut it out. If your paper isn’t long enough, you can add extra inches to the end with tape.
- Trace the rectangle four times onto the back of the fabric. Cut out all four shapes.
- Pin two of the pieces together on one short end, with right sides touching. Repeat with the other two pieces of fabric.
- Sew the pairs of fabric together along the edges you just pinned, using a needle and thread or a sewing machine. Keep your stitches 1/2-inch from the edge of the fabric.
- Press the seams open with the iron.
- Fold the unstitched edges of fabric in 1/2-inch all the way around the two pieces of fabric, towards the back. Iron the folds to set them in place.
- Place the two pieces of fabric on top of each other, with the folds touching. Pin the pieces together.
- Sew all the way around the pieces of fabric to connect them together. Keep your stitches close to the edge of the fabric.
- Press the scarf.
- Tie the scarf around the crown of your head or a high ponytail, and rock your retro-inspired look!