Here's how to welcome your guests to your holiday party—DIY-style
It’s December, which means that it’s time for many of us to decorate a tree, hang sparkly lights in our windows and try to decide if we like eggnog. And while the eggnog conundrum may never be solved, giving your apartment a bit of holiday cheer is a snap!
This week’s DIY helps you make two vintage-inspired pennant garlands, complete with an upbeat seasonal message: “MERRY + BRIGHT.” The garlands pictured use a simple evergreen and white color scheme, but these would be darling in any hue—try a traditional red-and-green pairing, or pick your favorite bright shades for a unique look!
- White cotton or linen
- Dark green felt
- 7/8-inch wide dark green ribbon
- White thread
- Green thread
- Basic sewing needle or sewing machine
- Measuring tape
- Straight pins
- Safety pin
- Fray check
- Piece of paper
- Ballpoint pen
- Iron and ironing board
- Draw a square onto the paper, 5-inches long by 5-inches wide. Add a 1 1/2-inch tall triangle to the bottom of the square. Cut the shape out to make your pennant template.
- Trace the template onto the white fabric 12 times. Cut out all 12 shapes.
- Fold the sides of each pennant in 1/4 inch, and iron and pin the folds to set them in place. Leave the tops of the pennants unfolded.
- Stitch the pinned folds in place using a needle and the white thread, or a sewing machine.
- Fold the unstitched edge of each pennant in 1 inch. Iron and pin the folds.
- Stitch the pinned folds in place with a needle and the white thread, or a sewing machine. Keep your stitches close to the edge of the fabric.
- Trace the words “MERRY + BRIGHT” onto the green felt. You can print out letters to use as templates, or draw them by hand. Cut the letters out.
- Pin each letter to a pennant.
- Stitch the letters in place with a needle and the green thread, or a sewing machine.
- Cut two 54-inch long pieces of ribbon. Trim the ends into triangular shapes, apply fray check and let dry.
- Attach the safety pin to one end of one ribbon. Using the pin as a guide, thread the ribbon through the top pockets of the pennants that spell “MERRY +.”
- Repeat the above step with the pennants that spell “BRIGHT.”
- Hang your two garlands using small hooks or washi tape, and start feeling festive!