The second part of our 2 part cliff hanging living room extravaganza is HERE! We finished the living room. We’re so happy with how everything came out. Reupholstering the chairs really made such a difference, and the DIY gold-leafed animal heads were the perfect statement art for above the T.V. What do you guys think?
For more OMG We Bought A House Episodes, click HERE.
DIY GOLD LEAF – This is a great technique to use on any large scale, sculptural element you want to make look like it’s made from real gold.
- paper mâchéd animal head (we got ours from West Elm)
- gold leaves
- spray adhesive
- spray sealant
- paint brush
- paint on gold leaf
- Spray the adhesive onto your animal head in small portions and carefully drape the gold leaf over it. Use the paint brush to softly dab the gold leaf into the crevices of the animal to make sure every detail of the animal is revealed.
- Repeat the first two steps until the animal head is covered – don’t worry if the gold sheets rip a little, you can fill it in with another piece of the liquid leaf.
- Optional: Go over any tears or gaps in the gold leaf with the paint-on gold leaf to give your animals more definition and a tarnished, more antique look.
- Let dry and spray your now gold-casted (looking) animal head with the protective finishing spray and let dry – this will help seal the leaf and also prevent further tarnishing.
- Mount on your wall and enjoy!