Bren Lee
December 02, 2015 3:05 pm

Look, many of us have accidentally pinched our eyelids with a lash curler (just me?) or clipped our nails a little too short, or worst of all, burnt our fingers or neck with a curling iron. It’s all very painful and annoying. And now we’ve learned that there’s a new item we need to be especially careful about: magnifying makeup mirrors, lest they set your things on fire. Yup. MIRRORS.

Kasey Ault, a California-based beauty junkie, came home recently to find the iPad case she had left on her desk completely charred. Naturally, she freaked out and looked around for possible sources of the fire, such as a candle or hair tool she might have accidentally left plugged in. The only likely culprit was her makeup mirror, which had been exposed to direct sunlight.

She took a picture of the disaster and posted it to Facebook, writing,

// < ![CDATA[
// < ![CDATA[
// < ![CDATA[
// < ![CDATA[
//

“Although that mirror had been there for weeks, my guess is that the sun hit it just right on its magnified side and somehow ignited some objects on my desk… It was probably the scariest thing I’ve ever had happen to me,” Kasey told Seventeen.

This isn’t the first time something of this nature has happened, weirdly enough. In April of this year, a house in Fairview, Washington caught fire after sunlight reflected off the magnification side of a makeup mirror, and caused $1,250 in damages.

One of the oldest beauty tricks in the book is to do your makeup in natural daylight, like in front of a window. Those portable double-sided mirrors make it a breeze to get up-close-and-personal while we perfect our winged liner. However, it’s probably best to store your makeup mirror in a cool, dark place as soon as you’re done with it.

Images courtesy of Facebook

You May Like