June 18th is National Splurge Day!
So, it’s National Splurge Day. You may not have known it, but you’ve been waiting for this day all year. Because today is the day when you can really live the words “treat yo self.” Donna Meagle and Tom Hatherford of Parks and Rec probably explain it best, but little splurges now and then are really important.
Now, I am all about frugality and saving money. Sometimes it is hard for me to justify spending those extra bucks. I don’t know about you, but I tend to see everything in terms of gas money or rent. “Come to the concert with us, Rachel! It’s only $85, and we can get a room at the Marriott down the street for only $60 for each of us.” Okay, so that’s nearly two times filling up my car at the pump, or 20% of my monthly rent… I’ll pass. Buuuut I have also come to realize that life is so short! And sometimes ya just gotta get the frills that make your heart beat a little faster or make you wildly smile.
Just in case you need a little extra convincing, here are five reasons why you should treat yo self today.
- You earned it. Whether it be a fortuitous tax return or a bonus check at work, you work hard for the money! And today is your day to have your cake, and eat it too.
- You’ve accomplished so much. Graduation, a new job, a finished project, a new apartment, a new kitten… there are so many reasons to celebrate.
- You got through a rough day/week/month/year. We’ve all been there. Sometimes just making it through the day is reason enough.
- Let it go. Release yourself from your money conscious habits. Resign to an impulse buy today. Just because we all need to loosen up a bit.
- Being happy is healthy. And with that logic, a little splurge today that boosts your mood could, in fact, save your life. Here’s to your health!