DIY of the Week: Quirky Apple Bud Vase
It’s September already, and we’re just as surprised by that fact as you are. Luckily, the unofficial start of fall comes with its own perks: yummy drinks, the return of our favorite TV shows and the celebration of all things apple- and pumpkin-related.
In honor of September and all of its back-to-school glory, here’s a fun DIY for an apple-inspired bud vase. This sweet vase is quick to assemble, and makes the perfect gift for a teacher or a fun accent for your own workspace. If fabric isn’t your thing, you can easily create the same red-and-green effect with a little paint or some washi tape—any way you craft it, this vase is sure to be cute!
- Small glass bottle, washed and dried
- Red felt
- Green felt
- Green thread
- Basic sewing needle
- Measuring tape
- Ballpoint pen
- Craft glue
- Measure the circumference of the bottle, and add 1-inch to that measurement.
- Measure the height of the bottle, from the base to just under the screw top.
- Draw a rectangle onto the red felt corresponding to the measurements you just took. Make the length the same as the bottle’s circumference plus an inch, and the width the same as its height. Cut out the rectangle.
- Use the craft glue to wrap and attach the felt to the base of the bottle.
- Once the glue has dried, attach the top of the felt to the bottle. To do this, glue one small section of the felt down. Snip the felt next to it so that you can angle and glue the next section of felt without it bubbling up. Continue snipping and gluing until you have completely covered the top of the bottle.
- Draw a 2-inch long leaf shape onto the green felt, and cut it out.
- Cut a couple of feet of the green thread and fold it in half, then thread the needle and tie a knot.
- Stitch lines onto the green felt to make it look like a leaf. Make one line running down the middle of the felt, and add smaller, diagonal lines branching off of it.
- Measure the circumference of the top of the bottle, and add 1-inch to that measurement.
- Measure the height of the top of the bottle.
- Draw a rectangle onto the green felt corresponding to the measurements you just took, making the length the same as the bottle top’s circumference plus an inch, and the width the same as its height. Cut out the rectangle.
- Sew one end of the leaf to middle of the green rectangle.
- Glue the green felt to the top of the bottle, ensuring that the seams on both pieces of felt match up.
- Fill your vase with water, add a pretty bloom or two and brighten up your desk!