Brighten up your space with these colorful DIY ornaments
The holidays are in full swing, and it’s the perfect time to get your craft on. ‘Tis the season to bake cookies, make gifts, and, of course, decorate. Even the coziest apartment or dorm room is big enough for a little tree—or at the very least, some pretty ornaments!
With these instructions, you can make your own set of colorful, scalloped ornaments. The combination of green, pink, and blue looks festive without being too Christmas-y, and their lightweight materials mean that they can easily be suspended from a tree branch or the ceiling. The hardest step is waiting for the glue to try, but just pop on your favorite holiday movie and these ornaments will be ready before you know it!
- Three 4-inch diameter Styrofoam spheres
- Three pieces of green felt in gradient colors
- Three pieces of blue felt in gradient colors
- Three pieces of pink felt in gradient colors
- Florist’s wire
- Measuring tape
- Ballpoint pen
- Craft glue
- Draw 1 1/4-inch wide circles onto the felt. You don’t need to cover the entire sheet of felt with circles—half the sheet should be plenty. Super crafty tip: the base of a nail polish bottle makes a great template!
- Cut out the circles.
- Begin gluing the blue circles to one of the Styrofoam spheres. Start by attaching one of the lightest circles, then begin layering more on top to create a scalloped effect.
- After you have added three rows of the lightest blue, glue on two rows of the medium blue.
- Finish with three rows of the darkest blue. Leave a very small spot uncovered by felt at the top of the sphere; this will be where the loop for hanging the ornament goes.
- Repeat the above steps using the green and pink felt.
- Measure and cut three 2-inch long pieces of florist’s wire. Bend one end of each piece into a loop.
- Use the ends of the wire to poke small holes in the gaps left at the top of the spheres. Fill the holes with glue, and gently press the non-looped end of each wire into the glue. Let dry.
- You’re finished! Hang your ornaments with some pretty ribbon, or display them in a glass bowl.