Here's the perfect DIY bow belt for all your spring dresses
Never underestimate the power of a cute accessory. I especially love skinny belts these days—they add an interesting accent to clothes without being overwhelming. This week’s DIY helps you craft a skinny belt of your own, complete with a sweet little bow for some extra style. The finished belt pairs perfectly with springtime dresses!
- Colorful cotton fabric
- Thread in a corresponding color to the fabric
- 1/2-inch wide plastic boning
- Basic sewing needle
- Large snaps
- Measuring tape
- Straight pins
- Safety pin
- Piece of paper
- Ballpoint pen
- Iron and ironing board
- Optional: sewing machine
- Measure around your natural waist, and add 4 inches. Make a note of that measurement.
- Cut the boning down to that measurement; if it has a fabric covering, stitch the ends of the covering closed. Set the boning aside.
- Iron the fabric. Measure out two rectangles, with 1-inch widths and lengths the same as your waist measurement, plus 1 inch. Cut out both rectangles.
- Pin the two rectangles together with right sides touching.
- Using a sewing machine or the needle and thread, sew the two rectangles together. Sew down both long sides and one of the short sides, leaving one short side open. Keep your stitches close to the edge of the fabric.
- Attach the safety pin to the short, stitched end of the rectangles. Use the pin to guide you as you flip the piece right side out.
- Slide the boning into the rectangular piece. Fold the open ends of the fabric in towards themselves, and sew them together. Iron the entire belt piece when you’ve finished.
- Fold the piece of paper in half, short end to short end. Draw an oval shape onto the paper, 2 inches across at the widest part, 1 inch long at each end, and 3 1/2 inches long. Cut out the piece and unfold it—this will be the template for the bow.
- Trace the template twice onto the fabric, and cut out both shapes.
- Fold the edges of the bow shapes in 1/4-inch, towards the back of the fabric, and iron the folds to set them in place.
- Pin the two bow pieces together with wrong sides and folds touching.
- Sew the bow pieces together using the needle and thread or a sewing machine.
- Iron the bow, then fold the narrow ends in towards the middle.
- Pin the folded bow to the belt, 1/2-inch from one of the ends. Sew the bow in place with the needle and thread.
- Measure out a rectangle on the fabric, 3-inches long by 1-inch wide. Cut out the rectangle, fold the edges of the fabric in, and iron them to set them in place.
- Sew the folds in place with the needle and thread or a sewing machine.
- Wrap the stitched rectangle around the middle of the bow, and pin it in place. Sew the rectangle to the bow with the needle and thread.
- Sew the male side of the snap to the back of the center of the bow, using the needle and thread.
- Wrap the belt around your waist, and line the female side of the snap up with the male side. Remove the belt and sew the second half of the snap in place.
- Pair your new belt with your favorite dress, and enjoy!