A bow-bedecked beach hat to keep you cool all summer long
Sun protection: it’s not the most glamorous summertime subject, but it might be the most important. I’m going to do my best parent impression for a moment and remind everyone to drink plenty of water, avoid daylong bakes on the beach and to absolutely drench themselves in sunscreen. In other words, take care of yourself during this extra-sunny season!
Of course, being sun-savvy doesn’t mean you can’t do so with style. A wide-brimmed hat provides excellent protection from the bright rays—plus, it can add a bit of old Hollywood spice to your beach ensemble. And with some wide ribbon and a little bit of time, you can make even the most sensible of hats into a cute accessory!
- Wide-brimmed hat
- 1 1/2-inch wide ribbon
- Thread in a corresponding color to the ribbon
- Basic sewing needle
- Measuring tape
- Measure around the base of the crown of the hat, just above the brim. Ad 1 inch to that measurement.
- Measure out the ribbon to the measurement you just took, and cut it.
- Cut a few feet of thread and fold it in half, then thread the needle and tie a knot.
- Fold one end of the ribbon under, towards the back of the ribbon. Place the ribbon along the base of the crown of the hat, and stitch the folded end in the back of the hat with the needle and thread.
- Wrap the ribbon around the base of the crown of the hat, and fold the other end of the ribbon under. Stitch that end of the ribbon in place as well. The ends of the ribbon should be touching.
- Stitch around the top part of the ribbon in a few spots around the hat to hold it in place.
- Measure out and cut a 9 1/2-inch piece of ribbon. Fold the ends in towards the back, slightly overlapping them, and stitch them in place. You should now have a ribbon tube.
- Measure out and cut a 4-inch piece of ribbon. Wrap it around the center of the ribbon tube you just made, covering up your previous line of stitches. Stitch the 4-inch piece of ribbon in place, keeping your work on the back. You should now have a wide, flat bow.
- Place the bow over the back of the ribbon that goes around the hat, right over the seam. Stitch the bow in place,
- You’re finished! Keep cool and comfortable this summer with your pretty new hat.
Check out more rad DIY projects, here!