Happy Penguin Awareness Day!
January 20th is Penguin Awareness Day!
Penguins are the best. I’ve been convinced of this since I can remember. I love penguins so much that I made a short animation about penguins celebrating Christmas for a “computer assisted art” class during my first year of college. (What I may have lacked in talent I made up for with my passion for penguins. Don’t hate.) Anyways, clearly, penguins are my favorite animal, and here are some reasons why they should be your favorite animal, too:
1. They are loyal partners. Emperor penguins mate for life, which is super sweet, romantic, and endearing. Have you ever seen March of the Penguins? (If you haven’t –gasp-, please consider that your assignment for the day.) Such a breathtaking love story.
2. Penguin dads are amazing. You got it, they watch over their little egg for over two months while momma leaves to go find food. Now that’s dedication.
3. They dress to impress. I mean, queue up Justin’s Suit & Tie, because these little stunners are dressed to the nines all day, erryday.
4. They fly underwater. Why fly in the air? Screw that noise. Flying underwater is so much cooler, and there’s no risk of falling to your death.
5. Swagger. Penguins walk as if to say, no one on the corner has swagger like us, and you know they mean it. When they get tired of walking, they slide around on their bellies. Am I alone in saying I wish we humans could do that?
6. Baby penguins are all of the cute. ALL of it.
7. Penguins are diverse. There are 16 different species of penguin living in the world today! I don’t know about many of the species, in fact, I mainly just know about Emperor penguins. Since it’s Penguin Awareness Day, join me and take a minute to learn about the other 15 species of penguin!
How to Celebrate
Watch a live feed of the African Penguin exhibit at the California Academy of Sciences! I just discovered this. It’s too good to be true.
Quotes of the Day
“I think penguins are the most human of all the birds, which may be why people love them. They’re cute, they stand upright and they look like they’re wearing tuxedos.” – Shia LaBeouf
“It’s practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.” – Joe Moore
Featured image via ShutterStock