Vegan Kale Smoothie. I’ve been on a kale kick. I love vegetables and kale is no exception. It’s wonderful hot or cold, stir fried, steamed or chopped up into a salad. Of the many ways I’ve enjoyed kale, putting it in a smoothie had not crossed my mind until a month ago. Now I can’t get enough!
Besides being a delicious vegetable, kale is also a healthy vegetable. Kale is high in beta carotene, vitamin C, vitamin K and full of calcium. It has been shown to help lower cholesterol and decrease dietary fat absorption. Plus, it also contains the chemical sulforaphane that has anti-cancer properties. These properties are enhanced through chopping or mincing, making it a perfect ingredient for a smoothie.
This smoothie is not only wonderful for you, it also tastes really good. Because there are many other ingredients in this smoothie you really do not even taste the kale. You still get the benefits of kale… but without the flavor. Happy blending!
by Laura Friendly
Start to Finish: 5 minutes
- 4 stalks of refrigerated kale
- 1 refrigerated Granny Smith apple
- 1 refrigerated kiwi
- 1 banana
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 to 1-1/2 cups rice, almond or soy milk, cold
- Fresh mint leaves
- Clean kale and cut into large chunks, removing stems if desired.
- Clean and chop apple, removing peel if desired.
- Peel kiwi, banana and avocado. Cut into large chunks.
- Add kale, apple, kiwi, banana, avocado, milk and mint leaves into a blender. Blend until the mixture is nice and smooth. note: if the smoothie feels too thick add more milk, water or ice
- Serve and enjoy!
For more Laura Friendly fun vegan recipes, try:
All Images & Content are by Laura Friendly. This post is written and based on my personal experience and opinion on food. The information is not intended to replace professional medical counsel. Always seek the advice of your physician if you have a food allergy. And don’t forget to smile!