You may watch Titanic every single time it’s on television, making sure to belt out the lyrics to Celine Dion’s “My Heart Will Go On.” You may have read The Great Gatsby in high school while analyzing the mysterious green light for hours on end. Heck, you probably even went to see Baz Luhrmann’s cinematic interpretation of this F. Scott Fitzgerald classic. At this point, you must be feeling pretty confident in your DiCaprio-related trivia…
…and then a mind-boggling fan theory comes along and ruins everything – causing you to ask yourself, “Are Jack Dawson and Jay Gatsby the same person?”
Let’s recap: Jack Dawson is a poverty-stricken artist who wins a ticket onto the Titanic. Once he’s aboard the ship, this young man begins to long for a life of luxury. We all thought he died at the end, but what if he didn’t? What if he managed to replace Rose’s Heart of the Ocean with a fake, pocket the real one, survive the sinking, pawn the diamond, and spend the rest of his life building a booming bank account? (Bear with us on this one.) In other words, what if he became the infamous Jay Gatsby?
While this theory may seem far-fetched, there are some highly suspicious coincidences that we can’t ignore:
1. A taste for the finer things in life. When Cal invited Jack to a dinner with first-class passengers after he saved Rose’s life, it’s highly probable that Jack wanted to replicate this lavish lifestyle. Just like Gatsby, he could have become obsessed with wealth, so that he could earn Rose’s/Daisy’s love with his riches.
2. There’s a gambling connection. How exactly did a poor artist like Jack secure himself a ticket to the Titanic? He won it in a game of poker. And how did Gatsby gain his fortune? He illegally gambled. DUN. DUN. DUN.
3. They travel as young men. After Gatsby runs away from home at the age of 17, he becomes Dan Cody’s personal assistant. Together, these two travel the world on a yacht while Cody teaches Gatsby how to become a gentleman. That would also explain Jack Dawson’s past, since he travelled around the world with a man named Fabrizo De Rossi after his parents passed away.
The details may not be exactly the same, but it’s still a highly interesting backstory. (I mean, Fabrizo De Rossi and Dan Cody could also be the same person, right? People mix up names all the time.)
4. Daisy and Rose. Rose and Daisy live very similar lives. They are both in a loveless relationship, one where their partner abuses them. They are both wealthy. They both love Leonardo DiCaprio’s characters.
After the Titanic’s sinking, what if Jack went off to look for someone who reminded him of Rose? And what if this Rose-esque woman was none other than Daisy Buchanan?!
5. Large bodies of water are involved. Several fan theories state that Gatsby was “afraid” of swimming pools, but that was never explicitly stated in the book. Instead, Fitzgerald’s protagonist simply has no time to enjoy this backyard luxury. Then again, Gatsby could be afraid of water and we just don’t know it. He could be remembering his past life as Jack Dawson, which would explain why large-ish bodies of water are a no-go.
As if things couldn’t get even more complicated, we also have to mention that BOTH Jack and Jay died in water. Jack sank into the ocean after dying of hypothermia and Jay fell into his swimming pool after being shot. So much water. So many deaths. So many “accidental” connections?
6. So. Many. Clocks. When Jack Dawson left Cal’s dinner, he handed Rose a note that said, “Make it count. Meet me at the clock.” And do you know who else reunited before a timepiece? That’s right: Jay Gatsby and Daisy Buchanan. When these two meet up at Nick Caraway’s home, Gatsby knocks over the clock that sits on his friend’s mantle.
Now, we think it’s time (pun definitely intended) for us to re-watch Titanic and then re-read The Great Gatsby immediately after.
7. The same actor. There’s no doubt about it. Fate must have brought DiCaprio, Dawson, and Gatsby together for a reason. Not only did the all-powerful Universe want us to bask in the glow of DiCaprio’s beautiful face. We’re also meant to discover the truth about two beloved characters. Clearly, everything happens for a reason.
Definitely let us know what you think. Also, if there are any more parallels that we’ve missed, please elaborate! Because fan theories give us life.
[Images via Warner Bros., Paramount Pictures,Giphy]