I love the Fourth of July. It marks the date when summer truly feels official, with the added bonus of delicious barbecue and pretty fireworks. My birthday is also just a few days after the holiday, so the two have always been linked in my mind. Sparklers and birthday cake are a winning combination.
The quintessential Independence Day celebration is, of course, the barbecue. My go-to food to contribute on these occasions is always cupcakes, since the cute little treats are both tasty and conveniently handheld. This year, I decided to dress up my Fourth of July desserts with some whimsical stars, stitched out of red, white and blue felt and popped on top of wooden picks. The decorations can be re-used as well—just replace the picks and you’re ready to go. This is a nice, easy craft that’s quick to complete at the start of your long weekend. After that, it’s on to eating all the cupcakes and burgers!
- Red felt
- White felt
- Blue felt
- Red thread
- White thread
- Blue thread
- Basic sewing needle
- Straight pins
- Paper to make template
- Ballpoint pen
- Wooden picks
- Draw a small star onto the paper, about 1-inch across. You can either freehand the shape, or print out some clip art to use as a template. Cut the star out.
- Trace the star 8 times onto each piece of felt. Cut the stars out.
- Pin the stars together in pairs, matching the colors.
- Sew the stars together using the corresponding color of thread. Use a basic straight stitch, and leave a small, unstitched gap along one side of each pair of stars. This will be where the wooden picks go.
- After you have stitched the stars together, add a wooden pick to each one.
- Poke your star-topped picks into the cupcakes, and proudly display them at your Fourth of July celebration!