Today is National Tortilla Chip Day, so we're celebrating with dessert nachos
It is National Tortilla Chip Day. Ah, the glory of all the food holidays out there. They give me the excuse to gobble more of my favorite snacks. And there is more to do with tortilla chips than just dip them. Not that dips aren’t super duper.
Allow me to introduce you to dessert nachos. You are going to make your own cinnamon-sugar chips. It’s perilously easy. Get yourself some plain flour tortillas. Heat your oven to about 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Chop your tortillas into whatever chip configuration you prefer. I cut mine into about 6 wedges. Brush your tortillas with butter on both sides. Put them in a single layer on a nonstick baking sheet (I like to cover mine with nonstick foil). Sprinkle the top side with cinnamon and sugar and bake until crisp. It shouldn’t take too long, just keep an eye on them.
Then top them! I used vanilla ice cream, orange sherbet, caramel sauce, chocolate sauce, then some good ol’ Redi-Wip (yes I know I am tragic but I love that stuff), then I really went for the gold and added a cherry and more of the cinnamon-sugar chips. It is so delightful. Please try it.
Ideas for those of you who prefer traditional savory chips?
- MIGAS!! I love scrambling up eggs with my chips. Or maybe it’s chips with my eggs. Either way I love it.
- Make queso and to dip them in. A bowl of melted cheese never lets you down.
- Use instead of tortillas in tortilla soup.
- Rainbow nachos! Because I have too much time on my hands? Or because I had a bunch flavors of chips and a wicked cheese craving? You make the call. This is fun. Go buy a variety of colors of chips. I had some generic yellow corn, blue corn and kale chips. I had these wacky Que Pasa purple corn chips, I even had some Beanitos BBQ Chipotle bean chips for the red and because I love chipotle-flavored anything. I realize bean and kale chips don’t count as tortillas but they count as tasty. I shredded up some cheddar for the orange part and sprinkled on some baby arugula and cilantro for extra green. I microwaved the whole shebang then added a stripe of salsa on the side. Pretty!
- If you do want to dip your chip, here is a vegan one!
- No taco shells and you need tacos? Just pile toppings on the chips and get a fork. It’s not portable, but definitely edible.
- Ever heard of chilaquiles? They are tortillas cooked in a spicy tomato sauce and topped with everything from cheese to fried eggs. Good stuff.
Those ideas should keep you busy for a while. Happy eating!