Mason Jar Mac-N-Cheese
Have you had Friendsgiving dinner yet? Friendsgiving, the Thanksgiving dinner you have with friends before the official Turkey day, is the perfect excuse for early indulgence of the best holiday recipes. It’s like the dress rehearsal—Lower pressure and a beautiful chance to spend time with your favorite unrelated people before everyone disperses to spend the holiday with family.
At this year’s Friendsgiving, serve Mason Jar Mac-N-Cheese, the casual, but rich side dish that’s a simple addition to any carefully constructed menu, but updated with an MJ. Thick and creamy, and sure to send guests to a satisfied state of food coma, macaroni and cheese made from scratch is certainly something worth giving thanks for! Doubly enjoy the holidays with your friends, family and mac-n-cheese.
Mason Jar Mac And Cheese
Recipe adapted from myrecipes.com via Southern Living
Mason Jars: 8 Kerr canning jars 8 oz
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (10-oz.) block extra sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/4 garlic powder
- 1/4 cumin powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper (optional)
- 1/2 (16-oz.) package elbow macaroni, cooked
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1/3 parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Microwave milk at HIGH for 1 1/2 minutes in large microwave-safe container.
- Melt butter in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium-low heat.
- Slowly add flour and whisk until smooth. Cook, whisking constantly, 1 minute.
- Gradually whisk in warm milk, and cook, whisking constantly, 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Whisk in salt, black pepper, garlic and cumin, 1 cup shredded cheese, and, if desired, red pepper until smooth.
- Stir in pasta,
- Spoon pasta mixture into a lightly greased Mason jars to the top.
- In a separate bowl, mixed together bread crumbs and parmesan cheese. Sprinkle mixture evenly on top of pasta.
- Bake at 400° for 20 minutes or until golden and bubbly.