Fall Snack Attack: Honey Bourbon Cupcakes
As fall rolls in, I was inspired to bake a boozy cupcake appropriate for the changing seasons: Honey Bourbon cupcakes. I think the honey adds a summer-y sweetness to the crisp bourbon flavor. Summer? Fall? These cupcakes are delicious in all seasons.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups flour (3/4 all-purpose flour, 3/4 cake flour)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (or milk with 1 teaspoon cream of tartar—I used milk and tartar)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbs bourbon per cupcake
Sift together flour, baking powder and salt.
In a separate bowl, cream butter and sugar. Blend eggs, extract and honey into this bowl.
Add sifted ingredients alternately with milk, a small amount at a time.
Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 minutes.
Allow cake to cool for 10 minutes.
Make about 8 holes in the cupcakes, poking the tops with a fork. Now, use the bourbon you set aside to drizzle over the tops of the cupcakes. Use about 1 tablespoon per cupcake.
Now for the Honey Bourbon frosting:
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2-3 cups powdered sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3½ tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon bourbon, or to taste
Mix it up. (If icing is too runny, add more sugar. If too thick, add a splash of milk.)