Avocados have been in the news lately. After all, avocado toast is the brunch item de jour. And guacamole? Yum.
But there’s a nasty rumor following our favorite fruit: that the avocado pit is poisonous. Yikes. So we decided to investigate.
As Poppy Ellard writes for Spoon U:
“Camps are divided on whether or not [avocado pits] actually a superfood or a super way to go to the hospital. The answer is yes and no, but mostly no.”
Here’s the thing: while there is a slight amount of persin, a fungicidal toxin similar to a fatty acid, in avocado pits, there is only a very small amount. For the seed to be poisonous, you’d have to eat massive quantities.
And while avocados are tasty, their pits aren’t exactly a delicacy. While people do use the pits to create a powder that can then be added to smoothies and other beverages, the small amount is not going to make humans sick. Plus, avocado pits are filled with antioxidants and fiber, making them great for your body and skin. Just eat a small amount, and you’ll be fine.
While some sites claim that avocado pits can be toxic to animals such as our feline friends and canine companions, the #truth of this claim is highly debated.Most claim they’re not actually that harmful. Persin is, however, extremely poisonous for birds and large animals, so don’t go feeding your pet horse an avocado pit.
Now go enjoy some delicious avocado toast!