Happy Something on a Stick Day!
March 28th is Something on a Stick Day!
Eating is hard work. I mean, think about how much time each day we spend preparing food, buying food, ordering food. Now think about how much time it takes for us to consume said food. You serve it, plate it, set out utensils and a napkin. And finally, you get to eat it. Which is sort of annoying and inefficient, because some food items were just not meant to be speared with a fork. For example, have you ever tried to eat the grapes in your fruit salad? It is nearly impossible to spear a grape with a fork. We’ve all been there. And what about meat? It takes forever to cut it into bite sized pieces, and then each piece needs to make its journey from your plate, to your fork, to your mouth. This is all very tiresome. And boring. Like I said, eating is hard work.
What can be done to ease the burden of eating? Well, lend me your ear, comrades. The solution is already here, and it is convenient, efficient, and fun! Eat your food on a stick. No plates or utensils needed. And potentially no napkins either, as this eating method allows you to avoid touching your food directly. You might even be able to get away with not washing your hands before you eat! Yes, it seems too good to be true, but some of our favorite childhood foods are perfect examples of an alternative way to chow down.
How to Celebrate
Eat at least one food on a stick today. You’ve got a lot of options. Here are just a few suggestions, along with reasons why each food on a stick option could be your new favorite.
- Corn dogs – For a full dose of nostalgia. All of the deliciousness of a hot dog, none of the mess. Easy to dip and easy to prepare. No longer just for birthday parties, county fairs, or for when Mom was too busy to cook a real dinner… let’s bring the corn dog back.
- Popsicles – From fudgesicles to juice bars to creamsicles, take a trip down the frozen dessert isle of your local grocery store for about a million options.
- Shish kabobs – So versatile. You can put pretty much any combo of fruit, or meat, or veggies on a stick and boom, shish kabob time! Fun for grilling in the summer sun, and always a BBQ classic.
- Caramel apples – An autumnal favorite and a great way to justify eating a massive amount of caramel and other goodies (because apples are super healthy!).
- Cake pops – If you’ve never had one, Zooey Deschanel will sell you on it. “CAKE. ON. A. STICK.” ‘Nuff said, Zooey, ’nuff said.
- Lollipops – Cue the music. (NO, not Lil’ Wayne, get your mind out of the gutter.)
- Frozen bananas – There’s always money in the banana stand.
Video of the Day
Alton Brown will show you how to make the best corn dogs in the world.
Featured image via ShutterStock